Sunday, May 12, 2013

Just for Fun


We had a few gloriously warm weeks here in SF, so I hastily trotted out all my most springy garments and made good use of the opportunity to wear as many of my sandals as I could before the fog rolled in again. This outfit was for a day of working at home and going to a midday appointment.

I loved all the comments on my Trends That Need to Die post, and for the most part I agree with all your choices. One of the trends mentioned was ankle pants, which obviously I have no problem with myself. I do in fact realize that they aren't particularly flattering and that men seem to universally find them to be one of the least attractive things that women wear (my husband included).

I actually derive a lot of satisfaction from sometimes wearing things that I know men find unappealing, because what I wear isn't meant to be about what men think. Cropped pants have an irreverent, playful vibe, and they remind me of some of the late 50's and 60's styles that I love. They bring to mind big floppy hats, drippy ice cream cones, and a boardwalk along the beach. Fashion doesn't always need to be about figure flattery; sometimes just being fun is enough.

Top: Bella Lux
Pants: Gap
Sandals: Gabor


8 comments:

Megan Gann said...

My DH isn't against ankle pants. And I'm glad for it since finding pants that don't drag the ground by several inches is extremely hard. Plus I like the proportions on ankle pants and a flowy top - like you've got on.

I think trends for trending sake is kind of annoying, but if something trendy works for me, I'm not going to shun it for being a "trend".

Shybiker said...

Fun and pretty outfit. I'd wear it if I looked half as pretty as you but, alas...

I'm intrigued by your comment about male attraction and the lack of desire for it (and, in some cases, a desire to repel men). The extent to which women do or do not factor this into their wardrobe choices interests me. Honestly, I have no clue what you and other women are thinking. I wish I could learn more about this somehow.

Franca said...

I think theyr'e nice and agreed about figure falttery not being that important!

Lynne DeVenny said...

I think ankle pants done well can be both sexy and chic. I'm looking for a black stretch ponte pair right now.

You did well. You look both eye-catching and happy.

jessicajyen said...

Amen to that! I love the Audrey Hepburn vibe of slim ankle pants - men, if it bothers you, go stare at something else! :-P. Sometimes I like wearing clothing that isn't terribly flattering, especially if it is fun or irreverent instead. If we all stuck to the silhouettes and looks that we knew made us look good, getting dressed would be a lot less interesting.

To Shybiker's comment, pretty much the only time I factor men into my wardrobe choice calculations is in screening out clothing/outfits that will garner too much unwanted attention. Otherwise, I figure I dress in my own crazy way because its fun for me, and not to please anybody from the opposite sex.

jessicajyen said...

Whoops - PS - love the outfit! Gotta take advantage of that summery weather while it lasts in SF!

Bernardette T said...

I like that printed pants. I'm looking for stuff like that. You're gorgeous in there.

granton world

Shybiker said...

Hey buddy. I've been thinking about you. Hope all's well in your world. Lynne (who commented above) is visiting SF right now! She and her ill daughter got a trip there from Make A Wish. Also I just started following the blog of a nice young woman in SF who is studying engineering; I profiled her a week ago. Best wishes.