Sunday, December 2, 2012

Travel Wardrobe


Well, I was hoping to have a recap of my recent European adventures for you today, but at the moment I'm just not up to the task of going through hundreds of photos and posting the best ones. Instead here's a good example of what most of my travel wardrobe looked like: casual and layered. Although I was able to mix and match the pants, tops and boots, there was fairly little variation in how most of my outfits appeared. Outside there was even less variation day to day, since the entire top half was generally covered with my parka.


 This was taken at Crosby Beach, which I visited with Not Supermum.

On the whole, the wardrobe I brought served me well. The layers allowed me to make adjustments from day to day depending on how cold it was: in Scotland and northern England I was wearing 2 layers of shirts, a cardigan, my parka, plus a scarf and gloves, whereas in London and Paris I was able to pare it down and ditch the cardigan, scarf and gloves most days. I did over-pack a bit this time, because I really could've done without the 2 dresses and the accompanying tights and jacket that I took to wear with them, and I probably could've gotten by with one less pair of pants. Sure, in total that's only 5 items, but some were fairly bulky pieces that I should've known better than to pack. Even one extra pound, when you have to lift it in and out of overhead luggage racks on planes and trains, makes a big difference.

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

I always tend to over pack when I travel. For my next trip, I am trying to make an effort to significantly cut down on what I pack.

Lynne DeVenny said...

Your post made me smile, because now that we're getting to NYC more frequently because of my oldest's job there, I'm trying to become master of the carry-on, including yanking package through turnstiles and on the subway. Last trip, I could have left my unworn sweater dress, tights, and several sweaters at home. My oldest told me many peeps don't dress up a lot for shows due to taking the subway after. A pretty necklace is the best way to dress up that famous New York all-black travel ensemble :P I also figured by observation, in the cold city, a gorgeous coat and scarf are going to see a lot more action than a beautiful top.

Shybiker said...

The more experience we have travelling, the less clothes we need to bring. You seem close to perfecting this skill.

shesaddictedtoclothes said...

Wow, you've been right in my neck of the woods, if you've been out to Southport! The weather has been exactly like that 90% of the time since approximately forever, and you manage to make a parka and sturdy boots look awesome.

tina said...

I tend to underpack because I do think about lugging a big bag around!

WendyB said...

I overpack! Though Space Bags have really helped me get things under control. And I've gotten better about not bringing too many shoes.

Amber of Butane Anvil said...

All of your travel wardrobe / packing posts are so helpful - I'm a recovering over-packer with much yet to learn. Thanks for the vicarious practise!