Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Fall Travels: London

Next up in my fall travels series is London, which was just getting decked out in its holiday finery when I arrived. I do love an outdoor ice skating rink.

One of the highlights of my London visit was the creepy Highgate Cemetery, with its policy of "managed neglect." Dead people ended up being a theme of this trip, as the Greyfriars Kirkyard in Edinburgh may have foreshadowed.


A fabulous view over the Thames at night.

I fell in love with London's modern architecture along the waterfront, which I thought formed a great contrast against the classic structures such as the Tower of London.



 

The impressive lions of Trafalgar Square:

Finally, taking top honors for my favorite museum in London, and also one of my favorite museums anywhere: the Old Operating Theater Museum. I visited this immediately after accidentally finding myself at an exhibit at the Museum of London that detailed the link between grave-robbing, murder, and medical dissection in the early 19th century. I couldn't have planned a better pairing!

This was my last day in the UK; for my next and last post from this trip, I have a few shots from my weekend in Paris. I hope you're having a very merry Christmas!

5 comments:

Shybiker said...

Wow! What great travel photos. I envy your trip overseas: you saw so many cool places. Merry Christmas!

journalofplacestobe said...

Another interesting cemetery! The mossy green stain on the entryway columns is really evocative.

It sounds like this was an amazing trip, and you collected some truly memorable shots that also show off a wide variety of architectural styles.

Megan Mae said...

What an awesome trip! London is such a fascinating place. The cemetary looks like the most incredibly peaceful place. If you've never been to the cemeteries in New Orleans, I highly recommend them.

Audi said...

Megan Mae: Ooh yes, I would love to see the cemeteries of New Orleans, and Savannah as well.

Kari said...

I happened on The Old Operating Theater nearly by accident on my last London trip - I was staying nearby - and thought that it was a blast! I'm glad to see that you had fun there, too.