Thursday, September 27, 2012

Going Strong


These pants often look very dark in outfits, but here I used the scarf to brighten things up and bring out the purple color of the pants. Wearing this big scarf shawl-style works well with this top, because it has a collar that sticks out and makes it tough to put lighter weight garments over it. In fact, I discussed this issue waaaay back in 2008, where I declared that wearing the top over a lightweight jacket makes me look like a hunchback.

There are several interesting things about that old post: (1) I'm wearing one of those colorful, wide belts which used to be a regular feature in my outfits but which I no longer ever wear, (2) I talk about having a date, which means that both the post and the top predate my husband, and (3) I forgot just how dark indigo those Joe's Jeans (which I'm actually wearing right now) used to be. It was also photographed in my old apartment, and my hairstyle is  quite different. The times have certainly changed, and the old jeans may be faded, but this little top is still going strong.

Scarf: Asos
Top: H&M
Pants: Rag & Bone
Boots: Ecco
Bag: Boktier

I used my fleur-de-lis scarf ring to secure the ends of the scarf. 

10 comments:

Une Femme said...

Great way to accent the color in the pants, and your scarf is a good solution for that tricky top. Isn't it fun (gulp!) to look back and see how our style has evolved?

Lynne DeVenny said...

You and your husband must smile about you posting your hope that he wouldn't turn out to be a flake :P Love the Now and Then posts.

jdpdx said...

I have recently found your blog and I love it! I am a fellow scientist, from Portland, Oregon, but I'm living in New Zealand for a while now. Suffering a bit from some lame fashion and high prices over here! Without saying *where* you work, can you say what kind of biotech work you do? So great to see all your fashion ideas, thanks!

Alternicity said...

You look great!

WendyB said...

Blog are great for bringing back memories!

Audi said...

jdpdx: I work for a small company that's working on oncolytic viruses for various cancers. I'm the entire QC department, and I oversee all the analytical methods that are run at our contract labs and at our partner company in France (I used to develop methods myself in my past jobs, but now I don't work in the lab anymore). My specialty is immunological and cell-based methods, but I also oversee molecular biology assays such as PCR too. So good to hear from a fellow scientist!

jdpdx said...

Too weird. I am applying to grad school now, and the main supervisors I want to work with do work on oncolytic viruses, mainly for gliomas. I work in Cytogenetics now but am trying to break into something else and don't think I'll be taken seriously without more school up my sleeve.

Audi said...

jxpdx: I'd certainly recommend branching out into other areas of study if you can. All my past experience was in recombinant proteins and monoclonal antibodies, but my analytical background allowed me to transition into the viral field. I think oncolytic viruses are the future; MAbs didn't really end up being the 'magic bullet' they were projected to be, though a few have succeeded spectacularly. Please feel free to contact me via email (audimeyer@gmail.com) if you want some academic and career advice. I'm always looking to mentor an up-and-coming scientist, especially a fashionable one. :-)

Amber of Butane Anvil said...

Love the scarf and scarf-ring, and the way-back post! Interesting how we leave off things which were previously wardrobe staples. When I started wearing belts, your Building A Belt Collection post was incredibly helpful - belated thanks!

I like your science-talk. :)

Jessica Buurman said...

You Look wonderful.
Nice Blog.

http://www.shopjessicabuurman.com/lookbook-street-fashion_c314