Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Closet Strategy



I feel like lately I've narrowed down the items in my wardrobe that I actually wear to what amounts to a capsule wardrobe. I've been tempted to go through and ruthlessly purge my closet's contents, but I suspect this is probably just a phase and if I'm too hasty in my zeal for closet efficiency (I am a Virgo, after all), I'll only end up on a massive shopping spree at some point in the near future. So here are these green pants again, and this tunic that you've recently seen, and again with the shoes. But hey, if you're looking for ways to style the same pieces over and over, you've come to the right place.

Part of the problem is that I really haven't done much serious shopping since I started my new(ish) job, so I don't have the constant influx of new items that cause me to feel experimental about my clothes. Part of it is that commuting by public transportation or on foot is a whole different ballgame than jumping in the car, walking to the office from the parking lot, and spending most of the day at my desk. And part of it is that I'm really enjoying the simplicity of paring down to a more manageable wardrobe and sticking to my favorites that I know are winners. I've also gained a lot of knowledge over the last several years about what the real winners are, and how to dress creatively while still flattering my figure and achieving the kind of vibe I'm going for. Am I evolving, or am I just getting lazy?

What's your closet strategy? Do you prefer a vast array of choices, or a more carefully curated and smaller collection?

Tunic: Asos
Cardigan: Anthropologie
Pants: Joe's Jeans
Shoes: Cole Haan

14 comments:

j. said...

I prefer a more curated, smaller collection. That said, I've been wearing the same 3 shirts and two pants every day ad nauseam, due to working from home plus chasing after an 8 month-old. But what I really wanted to ask was: How are your pups?

Sheila said...

I like a vast array, but in the past 8 months, I've been culling down and working through my wardrobe to find only the Really Good Stuff that I actually love and wear.

I walk to work too - I wear funky runners and change my shoes when I arrive, otherwise, I commute in my full outfit.

Shybiker said...

No one knows better than you what you want to wear, so if you have those items, you're set. There's no need to have others.

Audi said...

J.: They're great! They'll be making appearances soon, I promise!

LPC said...

Small:). And somehow I never expected to see you in Cole Hahn and I like it.

Megan Mae said...

I think a small curated wardrobe is the way to go. I spent a couple years with a large varied wardrobe and did the binge/purge wardrobe thing for far too long. I've learned what I like through that and feel like I'm finally cultivating the right pieces.

I like following bloggers who are doing the same thing. It feels good knowing I'm not the only person doing it and sometimes the right pairing can spark new ideas for my own closet.

STAshworth said...

I finally learned that I'm annoyed by too many choices, so I aim for less rather than more.

Lynne DeVenny said...

I love your strategy, and it's inspiring me to stick to mine, i.e. figure what I already own that is truly flattering - and purge the rest. I'm hoping this process will guide me in future shopping efforts which will yield mostly things that play well with others in my closet.

tinyjunco said...

heehee.....welcome to the 'other side'! You're far from the first lady i would have pegged to enjoy small and awesome, and i am more than thrilled to have you on our team :)

" And part of it is that I'm really enjoying the simplicity of paring down to a more manageable wardrobe and sticking to my favorites that I know are winners. I've also gained a lot of knowledge over the last several years about what the real winners are, and how to dress creatively while still flattering my figure and achieving the kind of vibe I'm going for."

This has been my style/closet goal for decades and i *could not* have put it better than you just have. I could see fairly early on that some things worked a LOT better than others - why not look as great as i could all the time?

and you've been looking really great lately!! i esp. loved the 9/10 look. Isn't it interesting how practicalities and lifestyle can affect our style? I find that accomomdating those influences in an authentic way can yield some really creative, unexpected results.

Take care and have fun! stpeh

Amber of Butane Anvil said...

I enjoy your posts just as much now as always, having been a lurker for much longer than a blogger / commenter. Interesting that you note the context of changing jobs, a process which itself occupies much energy for the first 6-8 months, and being prudent about a ruthless purge.

I'm in very early days of finding out what I prefer - still at the "exploring / wearing / enjoying all the stuff in my closet" bit, and starting to really use what's there rather than continuing to accumulate. Learning about others' processes, particularly those whose style I most admire, is really helpful - thank you!

Lynn Brooks said...

I have out of necesity (a.k.a. lack of funds)have had to live with a capsule wardrobe more often than not in the last 25 years. Poverty teaches a fashion minded gal how to be fabulous with very little. As well as I can do capsule, I much prefer to have my closet bulging with clothes. More options give me more artistic freedom to express my different sides.

Lynn Brooks

Margaret said...

I think part of the key to a really great capsule-wardrobe-as-lifestyle is great fit. Could you share the name of your tailor as I too live in SF and have yet to find anyone to trust! crowrose at aol dot com.
thanks
maggie may

Adrienne said...

I think your fashion choices of late are different than the ones I saw you wearing say a year ago. I think they are less busy and more sophisticated. Everything you wear seams to be fab. I have purged my wardrobe lately and been tempted to pull a few items back. I like to think my fashion sense is evloving too. You are an ever evolving inspiration. thanks Audi

Closet Coach said...

I find myself somewhere in between. In theory, I prefer choices. In practice, I tend to reach for the same items over and over again.

But those vary over time, so that's my excuse for not paring down my wardrobe more than I already have!