Friday, August 10, 2012

Lazy Gal


I've concluded after a few tries that this is about the closest my hair will get to the 1960's-European-actress look I wrote about a few months ago. It comes out alright, but it's generally more work than I want to put in every day, which is why I usually wear it straight.

To achieve this style I put in a little Blow it Up while my hair is wet, then dry it until it's barely dry. Then I put my hair up in thermal self grip rollers. It takes about 5-7 minutes to put all my hair up, since the rollers just stick in the hair by themselves and don't have to be clipped in place. Then I just hit each roller carefully with the hair dryer on the lowest velocity and highest heat. The metal core of the roller heats up and curls the hair, and then letting it cool thoroughly locks the curls in place.

Before I take the rollers out I spritz on a little light hold hairspray just to keep the curls in place while I work with them. It's important not to use too stiff a hairspray or else the rollers won't come out. Then I just run my fingers through a couple of times, arrange the curls the way I want, and finish with my favorite strong hold hairspray. If the curls are a bit frizzy I might scrunch in a little Aerate or Water Wax before the last coat of hairspray to give it more smoothness and shine.

It sounds like a lot of products and a lot of time, but in total I'd say this takes me about 15 to 20 minutes instead of my usual 5. Not bad, but I'm sort of a lazy gal when it comes to my hair, so I can't be bothered to go to all that trouble every day. It's nice when I'm feeling a little euro inspired though -- if only I had a vintage Vespa to drive to work on. Ciao bella!


Blazer: Helmut Lang
Top: thrifted
Pants: Rag & Bone
Boots: Brako
Bag: Boktier

8 comments:

Megan Mae said...

Love how all the pieces of this outfit work in perfect harmony. It's perfect edgy work wear.

I'm the same way about my hair. I have a small amount of natural curl but I don't know how to bring it out without a lot of work so I usually wear it straight. Love your blue highlights!

Diane Cayton-Hakey said...

How funny.... I saw a Vespa this week and thought to myself how fun it would be to have one! Your hair looks wonderful. I stay at home so don't like to spend a lot of time on my hair either.

Elizabeth said...

I hear the "Lazy Gal" thing: I don't even comb/brush my hair, because no matter what I do, it always looks the same. I've learned to embrace that.

Nevetheless, I like how your hair looks when you put this much effort into it. It's very flattering. But it looks beautiful when you let it be, also. You have great hair!

notSupermum said...

Mi piace! x

Lynne DeVenny said...

I'm with Elizabeth - most of time time I don't even brush my hair. It's that kind of hot mess :P

I love how your hair turned out, curls and blue highlights. Your outfit looks effortlessly chic as always - I think your kind of lazy results in high style!

Sheila said...

Love the blue in your hair - this is a super look for you!

Shybiker said...

I know the look you're going for and this little amount of effort is worth it. Very chic and sophisticated.

And I truly love your clothes. You select such interesting, unusual items. If I could truly live as female, you'd be my primary role-model. I admire your choices so much.

Gill said...

I love your hair, it's something like how I want mine to be but I need to grow it some yet....I've recently discovered your blog and I find your outfit posts very inspirational...sadly I don't have your figure or am brave enough to wear anything too outrageous but I'm trying!