Monday, August 13, 2012

Intentional Black



A long ago post of Sal's discussed being intentional with black, and that's what I thought of when I put together this outfit. Here I'm using it as a high contrast accent, letting it appear in small swatches but repeating it so that it doesn't look like I simply didn't have other items to choose from. In this outfit none of the clothing had any black in it but I really wanted to wear the sandals, so I chose a small coordinating handbag and necklace so that no single piece created a large expanse of black and yet they all worked together. Throwing in the brass and crystal bracelet kept the whole thing from being overly matchy.

Dress: Thrifted
Cardigan: Max Studio
Sandals: Michael Kors
Bag: Zadig & Voltaire
Bracelet: Leslie Danzis

13 comments:

Lynne DeVenny said...

This dress is so lovely that it doesn't need much accessorizing; the light touches of black and the neutral cardi are really lovely.

laniza said...

This is a great lesson. Black has a tendency to be a default in many people's wardrobes.

LPC said...

If I could dress like anyone but me it would be you:).

Megan Mae said...

I love this. It's the opposite of what one would usually do, swapping the pop of color for 'pops' of black.

Jean at www.drossintogold.com said...

This is good. Balanced, creative, summery but grounded. Like it!!

Sheila said...

Lovely use of black as an accent! You look great in that bright melon colour - excellent thrift purchase.

Shybiker said...

I agree with Sheila. But then that's like a novice approving of the master.

Stacy Lomman said...

GREAT color on you! And I love how the touch of black grounds the outfit :)

Unknown said...

You are a great inspiration.
I love visiting your blog.

et said...

I'm pretty sure it was earlier posts of yours that taught me to wear black items, or jeans, or even a t-shirt intentionally instead of as an easy fall-back. Not that I manage it, but it's made me more aware of what I'm putting on. And I'm slowing accumulating tops and bottoms that play off the black or blue instead of just random colors.

dia mirza said...

Amazing post thanks for sharing the blog and keep on updating the blog.Thank you

kosmetyki profesjonalne

Jessica Gomez said...

This is excellent. Healthy, innovative, summer but based. Like it!

online fashion shop

Maria said...

Hi, please see my new site. Check out my next before last entry there. If you think it's important, please pass it on.