Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Intense


Slim-fitting, bright pants have been on my shopping list for a couple of months now, so a couple weekends ago I set out to find a pair. The effort proved slightly more difficult than I had imagined. I had seen this very pair on the Michael Kors website, but when I popped into the store in the Westfield Mall, I saw that they didn't have any pants on their racks. I then headed to Bloomingdale's, where I proceeded to try on bright teal, coral, fuchsia, yellow, you name it... but they all looked monstrous. What I realized is that the colors I was trying all struck me as being great for a woman in her 20's, but on me they just looked awkward, and not really me. What I needed was what I'd been originally drawn to on the website. What I needed was an intense red, which was the one color I couldn't find on the entire vast, bright-pants-laden floor.

Frustrated, I headed down the escalator to make my way out of the store, only to come face to face with a whole section of Michael Kors clothing, and there, front and center, were the red pants I'd wanted all along. I knew exactly how I'd wear them for their first outing: as a splash of intense color behind high contrast black and white. A sophisticated color combination that still looks fun and springy.

I'll definitely be avoiding things like dizzy floral prints or flowy boho sheers when I wear these pants because I think that has too youthful/trendy an appearance for my taste, but paired with black and neutrals, this is a great way to work with a current trend while keeping it office appropriate and staying true to my personal style.

Cardigan: Survival
Tunic: Asos
Scarf: Alexander McQueen
Pants and sandals: Michael Kors
Jewelry: Metal Pointu

10 comments:

Patti said...

These red trousers are fierce, and beautifully styled for the office!

Megan said...

Fabulous outfit. I love the cropped sweater over the long flowing white blouse. And red pants! *swoon*

Megan Mae said...

I love the bright red pants. They're about the same shade as my thrifted pair. And funnily enough, I had been hunting a true middle red when I stumbled across mine.

Yours look great with the traditional red/black/white pairing and that gorgeous McQueen scarf. The sheer layers look particularly weightless and airy.

Shybiker said...

Great pants. And I think red works for everyone.

Adrienne said...

I think your analysis is spot on. Some of the new trends are a bit geared toward the youthful. Not that you are not still 'Youthful' but you're out of your teens let's say..... Anyways before I completely put my foot in my mouth I like your color combo too.

Terri said...

This is a very striking look and the pants are a great fit. The scarf is sharp too.

Sheila said...

I've been hunting for bright pants for ages, and even tried on some hot pink, turquoise and yellow (bad idea). They all look waaaay too young. I am craving red ones!

These look awesome, Audi - I love the long layers over them.

chicmoment said...

Ooooo~ So nice outfits!!! Your red pants are an eyecatching spotline!! I always love the red!!! Match with the white chiffon is so fab!! :D
Here is a fashion site share to you:D! Wish you could like it!!ray ban sunglasses

Kristian said...

I love hoe you can take trends andmake them work for you.

Joni James said...

you have the most consistently cute outfits! I'd love to find some bright denim in a mustard color but those were so "last year." I didn't get them while I had the chance.