Monday, November 7, 2011

Adjusting



I'm still adjusting to dressing for my new gig; not so much for the workplace itself, but for the outdoor climate and the amount of walking I now do. In general I'm dressing in a more relaxed way than I was at my previous job, in part because working downtown gives me loads of options for lunchtime, and if I'm going to walk to them I want to be comfortable. But the other thing I've discovered is that I can easily walk to work, which takes just 10 minutes longer than riding the bus (my nearby bus routes aren't the speediest, and driving isn't really an option). My trip is 3 miles each way, so I get some welcome exercise, but consequently I have to create outfits with breathable fabric (to avoid sweating with my backpack on) and shoes that are either easily swapped once I get to work, or are comfortable enough for miles of walking. This is a challenge, because I'm not the sort of gal who will throw on sneakers with anything and swap them once I get to work -- the walking shoes have to look reasonable too.

This was not a 'walk to work' outfit, though it maybe could have been with some minor modifications. It was definitely before I got my latest haircut though, and you can really see my color growing out, as well as how long the back was getting (hence the recent post about Janet). Thankfully I've gotten it cut since then.

I've got a post in the works that will show you some of what I see on my walks to and from work. Believe me, it's a walk that I'm very grateful to be able to make! Working in the city is truly a dream come true.

Top: Forever 21
Skirt: LA Made
Shoes: Born

14 comments:

emily.mcintyre said...

I love the outfit! the skirt picks up the colors of your tattoo nicely, and the fabrics balance each other out well.

K.Line said...

I totally understand that challenge. If you add snow, ice and extreme cold, that's what I'm managing for 5 months of the year. I try to look chic and get to work safely. It takes a lot of creativity :-)

Furniture Los Angeles said...

You look lovely, I really like your skirt! It looks flowy and comfortable!

-Kayla

Ravina Sniper said...

Walking to work really is the best thing ever!
I love the simplicity of this outfit - the colors are gorgeous together, the drape of each piece is beautiful and flattering and the necklace is just the cherry on top. Lovely!

Rebecca said...

That is great that you can walk to work, especially since living in a moderate climate means you can walk there year round. I am a little jealous!

Megan Mae said...

Congrats on the new place of work. It sounds very exciting. You look great in that pairing of purple and teal, I love how easy and flowing it is while still looking structured.

Sheila said...

I love the drapey magenta top on you!

I used to walk a long ways to work and home 4 days a week. I actually changed into my work clothes when I got to work, and back into walking clothes for the trek back home. All of my outfits were pre-planned and I put them on for the first time when I arrived at work - surprisingly, this didn't yield as many disasters as you might think!

I miss my long walks, but my office is now only a 15-20 minute walk from home, so I do put on runners and hoof it in my work clothes. I've gradually come to the conclusion that I need some nicer-looking walking shoes - no more runners! I have some funky Adidas ones, and I just got a pair of wild green waterproof boots (a real necessity on the we(s)t coast).

Can't wait to see your walk pictures! I love seeing what others see on their journeys! Glad to see you posting again, Audi! You've been missed. :)

Megan said...

I'm also not a fan of the "commuter sneaker" look. There are so many options for cute, comfortable shoes that there is no need for sneakers.

Franca said...

I know what you mean about walking to work shoes, proper trainers are just not nice! Though I mainly wear converses, which is hardly any better (though it is in my mind)!

Shybiker said...

The way these clothes hang is so gorgeous. Really elegant. And the color-blocking is icing on the cake.

You always come up with the coolest new looks.

Linda said...

I love that color combination.

I also walk to work (2 miles, was 3 at my old job) and find it by far the least annoying commuting method. But I wear running shoes and will myself invisible. There are very few cute shoes I could walk that far in, especially not fast, and I'd wear them out in no time. You're a better woman than I if you find another solution to this problem.

LPC said...

Hey! I'm walking to work too these days. In San Francisco:). I'm going to keep my eyes open. Maybe I will spot you.

Melissa said...

Great outfit. Missed you.

Healthy and Homemade said...

Wow love that you are walking to work! 3 miles is awesome, I hope you're only doing it to and not also from lol. That's a long day! You look fantastic. This is a fun opportunity to mix work appropriate with cool and comfy! =D