Monday, September 12, 2011

Excitement



This outfit is pretty much a repeat of a previous one, but with ponte knit pants replacing the original leggings, the red bag to add a little color, and a few accessories to jazz it up. The first time around I was going for a strict minimalist look, whereas this time I wanted to throw in a few more finishing touches. Since it's a repeat there's not too much else to say about this outfit, which is fine because today I have other things to talk about.

In the comments to Friday's post, many of you correctly guessed that my birthday wish was a new job. I'm surprised that no one pinpointed the specifics though: the outfits I posted were the ones I wore to my interviews. And yes, there were 5 separate rounds of interviews, mainly because people that I needed to interview with were either traveling or out of the office on different days, so the interviews were broken up. Good thing I have a wardrobe large enough to put together 5 interview-appropriate outfits.

Finding the perfect job has been my quest these last several years. I haven't been overly thrilled with my current job from the start, to be quite honest; it's a very large company and is mired in convoluted processes and absurd politics. But for all that, I respect what the company does and its commitment to finding treatments for serious diseases, and so I've stuck it out and made the most of it while I held out for just the right opportunity.

I knew it was really time to leave this job when I started blaming "the company" for irrational things such as the lousy South San Francisco weather. Admittedly, at times it really does feel like our campus was designed specifically for maximum discomfort and walking hazards, from the building layout that funnels in the icy afternoon wind, to the high-heel-destabilizing textured floor of the parking garage, to the multiple loading docks with their procession of large trucks that have to be crossed to reach the front door of the building I work in. Eventually I had become so ready to leave that every little inconvenience just soured me more and more.

I remember vividly getting off the bus one morning and seeing people smiling and greeting each other, and thinking, "These people seem to be happy here; what the hell is wrong with me?" But rationally I knew that it wasn't me, and it wasn't the company; it was like that relationship where although you care for the person and wish them well, you know that you can't continue as a couple because you bring out the worst in each other. It was simply time to move on. Luckily, that perfect opportunity I'd been hoping to find materialized at precisely the right time.

You guys, I could not be more excited about this new job. It's a very small start-up biotech company that's working on an exciting new technology for cancer indications. My job will take me in lots of different directions and although it'll be a lot of work, there's a real chance to make a substantial  difference. Additionally I know several people there, including a very dear and trusted colleague who is also one of my best friends. But here's the kicker: the company is located in the heart of downtown San Francisco. My dream is realized!

So now you know one of the things I've been so preoccupied with these last couple of months. It has been hard to be patient, but finally I was able to give my notice and settle on a start date at the new place. Next Tuesday is my last day, and I'll start at the new job the following week. Not only that, but Mark and I are in the process of buying another house. In fact, we close escrow the same week that I start my new job. How's that for excitement?

Tunic, cropped top: Asos
Pants: Club Monaco
Shoes: BC Footwear
Bag: Foley + Corinna

40 comments:

Shybiker said...

Yay! New job, new home, and a birthday -- that's a lot of exciting news! Good for you, Audi. I hope everything goes smoothly and leads to happiness for you.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

CONGRATULATIONS! It is so exciting to find a job you feel like is the dream job...I so hope it works out to be that way. You look wonderful in this fun outfit and I really like the ponte pants.

Amy said...

That's wonderful!

LPC said...

Congratulations! How wonderful to take your time, be really sure, and then the universe opens up just right.

Katie, Interrobangs Anonymous said...

Congratulations! What a thrilling adventure for you and Mark.

Michelle said...

Wow! That is fantastic...congrats (and a belated happy birthday to you)

Am in the same predicament you were in....just waiting for the opportunity to arise. Ah science, how I love and hate thee!

Rebecca said...

Congratulations on the new job!

Chelsea said...

what fabulous news, Audi! congrats on the new gig, and of course on the house too. you + mark = dream team :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats again Audi! This sounds like a wonderful opportunity. Enjoy it!
And happy belated birthday!

XO, R

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! What wonderful news for you!
Also, this is one of your outfits that makes me want to hop on a plane for SF and force you into a week of shopping for a new wardrobe for me. You look fabulous.

Gretchen said...

Congratulations!!! It's awesome to find a place you can be truly happy. I wish you all the luck in the world.

ilana said...

wonderful! sounds amazing..

Jane said...

Congratulations!!!!!!! Awesome for you, and you look fantastic, as always!! :)

K.Line said...

Fantastic news about the new job! Congrats. I know you've been looking for the perfect opportunity for a long time. And you can't beat that commute!

Megan Mae said...

Whoa! Definitely a time of change. Wishing you the best, and many congrats!

Julie G. from Iowa said...

Wow! So great. Congratulations!

Cherie said...

Can't get enough of the right thing coming along at the right time. Congratulations to you! I have been a long-time lurker, love your interesting style,and your more interesting personality.

Rad in BK said...

Yeay for the new dream job in a dreamy location. Good analogy too (relationships bringing out the worst in each other). Goodness I've been there!

Ravina Sniper said...

How wonderful! Congratulations, Audi!

Anonymous said...

Best of luck with everything, Audi! DAC

Patti @ NotDeadYet Style said...

Big congratulations! Your are living your dream, and this is so exciting. Best wishes are sent your way today!

Anat said...

Wow, congratulations, sounds like a dream! While I am sure you were selected for your amazing intellect and professional competencies, I can't help thinking that you knocked their socks off with those fabulous outfits! Each one of them is such a winner, and you look perfect, polished, business-y beautiful.

Carolina on My Mind said...

Congratulations on the new job! I've been hoping against hope that you'd find time to write another Fashion Week post because the last one you did was so great, but sounds like it may not be in the cards this season . . . .

Anonymous said...

congratulations on the new job!! that's so exciting! & happy belated birthday as well. :D

i've been a lurker for awhile & as a grad student & self-described nerd, i love all of you outfits! thanks for being such an inspiration.

-m

Between Laundry Days said...

Yay Audi! I'm so glad you've found something that's such a perfect fit. :)

Linda said...

So happy for you! Yay!

Healthy and Homemade said...

Congratulations Audi, I'm so happy you found a job that will make you happy!! =) You look gorgeous. You have so much excitement going on, best of luck!

Lisa Smets said...

Loving the crop top! Also think you nailed the oversized thing without entering the dangerous zone where the fabric looks like it has swallowed the person wearing it :p x Lisa

Mom said...

Audi - I am incredibly proud of you in so many ways. You go girl!

WendyB said...

Congrats!!!

Tina said...

That is great and you look fabulous in every outfit!

Jess the Reader said...

Congratulations, I'm so delighted for you!

I have also experienced that feeling of hating everything to do with your job, so I'm extra delighted for you that not only are you leaving, but you're going to somewhere great. Good on you for sticking it out.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Richly deserved, I'm sure. :)

Eleanorjane

Cameron said...

Happy belated birthday and congratulations! I definitely know what it feels like to not want be in the same place anymore, even if the work is interesting; in my case, though, the universe did it for me... in the form of a Chapter 7. :\

Anyway, big hugs to you and your husband! :D

ReaderRita said...

Wheee! Fabulous freshness- new job, new start, new work neighborhood, new year, new(ish) puppy, another house! Congratulations and best wishes!
Just remember to breathe...

Sheila said...

Congratulations! Fantastic news! I'm glad you have a bit of downtime between jobs, because it sure sounds like your life is crazy right now! Take care and don't forget to look after yourself. :)

lawyerdoll said...

Congratulations! Looking forward to lots of great SF posts

Natasha said...

Very beautiful outfit :) And I'm rarely inspired in fall. So, this is a compliment!!! I miss the crutch of flip flops and skimpy tank tops. But I've made a resolution to be less label-conscious. Right now I'm thinking over-the knee boots, bright tights, Moto gear, maybe even a cape...
What do you think is a must for fall?

Bring Pretty Back said...

Ok! Now!... I love this!!!! Do you think it was a coincidence that the job is in San Fransisco!? And it happened at the exact time you just knew it was time to move on.. I don't! Everything happens for a reason! I am thrilled for you and you look fabulous!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

Raquelita said...

That's just wonderful news! I'm thrilled for you about your new job! All of your interview outfits were stellar, but I feel especially drawn to the first and the last.

-formerly LHdM