Monday, August 15, 2011

Reworked


As I mentioned in my last outfit post, boots are in heavier rotation this summer than normal. This pair in particular has been hauled out quite a bit, mainly because they're mid-calf height and therefore don't have quite as wintry a look as some of my taller pairs. Because of the hardware, they also add quite a bit of visual interest to an outfit without too much effort on my part, a quality I'm especially appreciative of at the moment.

This outfit was reworked from an older one. I really liked the military jacket with the teal skirt, but in looking back at the original outfit I thought the addition of the gray skirt underneath was unnecessary. I therefore decided to try a simpler version, eliminating both the layered skirt and the hardware-heavy belt.

This gorgeous necklace by Wendy Brandes is also getting a ton of use lately. On the days when I'm feeling less creative, I can throw on some jeans, flats and a t-shirt and tell myself that I'm simply letting the necklace be the star of the outfit. I always feel put together when I have it on.

Do you have any special items in your wardrobe that you deploy when you don't have the energy to build an entire outfit creatively?





Jacket: Thrifted
Necklace: Wendy Brandes
Skirt: LA Made
Boots: All Black
Leggings: Audrey Cantwell

15 comments:

Joni James said...

Loving your outfits!!!!

Mia said...

Tealive is a good look for you! This doesn't look too cold-weather or anything, so I'd say you're working the mid-height boots effectively.

Re: that "special item," lately I've been doing that with my Tom Waits portrait necklace from Fable and Fury on Etsy. I feel like I don't have to dress up or look particularly cool, because Tom is doing all the cool for me.

Audi said...

Mia: Your necklace is definitely an outfit-maker; I've been admiring it in your posts.

Rita said...

I did a double take when I saw today's picture. I am wearing the exact same jacket today which I also thrifted. Odd........but cool.

Allison said...

Boot weather seems so far away in humid Ontario! I wore teal today too, and wondered what colours to pair with it. I really like how it pairs with olive, so I'll keep that in mind :)

Nyssa said...

As a new teacher, my outfits are not too creative. However, I have a purple tank top that I wear with a jacket. I always feel pretty when I wear that.

Megan Mae said...

I like the proportions a lot better, the self-belt defines your waist, but allows your silhouette to flow nicely. I love the color pairing, I need to dig out something teal and pair it with my olive vest.

I lovelovelove the Memento Mori stuff by Wendy. I'm dropping hints to the Hubs left and right to get a piece done by her.

CC said...

Love this outfit. Teal is one of my fave colors and I love it with the army green. :)
My collection of statement necklaces always make me feel put together. :) My clothes tend toward the simple, but my jewelry can be pretty huge. :)

Healthy and Homemade said...

I honestly never have the energy for putting together outfits anymore. You look fabulous, this outfit has a nice silhouette.

Patti @ NotDeadYet Style said...

I love these colors together - you're inspiring me for some fall outfits. Your WendyB necklace is truly a statement - I don't have an equivalent, but I have a few bracelets that make me feel good when I put them on.

bigonmodesty said...

Loving the olive and teal.

SK said...

I love the outfit remixing and reinterpretation. Clothes should not just be worn once!

Anonymous T said...

That rocks! Nicely done.

WendyB said...

So glad you're enjoying the necklace!

stacy said...

I "heart" military jackets! Looks great on you. And the necklace... so cool.