Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Bumble Bee



Just look at that sweet little puppy face, will you? Spencer decided to give me a good pose this time. He's doing really well; he's starting to settle into the household and learn the daily routine. He's still a handful when he gets in his rowdy moods, running all over the place and randomly grabbing all sorts of stuff he's not supposed to have, but once he settles down he sure is sweet and snuggly. Once his injured leg is healed up and we no longer have to carry him up and down 2 flights of stairs every time we need to take him out, he'll be a lot less work. In the meantime I'm seeing a noticeable improvement in muscle tone in my legs, so I guess it's not all bad. Carrying 40 pounds of puppy up and down stairs is a great workout.

I've decided that I love black and yellow together, even though it's sort of a taboo combination due to the association with bumble bees. But it occurred to me awhile back that there really isn't anything wrong with looking like a bee; in fact, bumble bees are pretty darned cute. As Katie pointed out, most bees aren't even yellow anyway. Nevertheless, the easiest way to avoid bee comparisons, should you wish to do so, is to add an intervening color to break up the black and yellow. Here, I've added the long white tunic to separate the yellow cardigan and black pants, and then splashed in a little purple and green with the scarf. Brown can also make a great intervening color, as the cords did in this outfit.

Note that in this outfit, where I have large solid expanses of black and yellow, I separated the two main pieces with the intervening color (though I threw the black belt in to integrate the two halves of the outfit). In general the larger the blocks of color, the more you'll want to separate them if you're working with a difficult combo. Unless, of course, you think it's perfectly fine to look like a bee.

For more on difficult color combinations, check out this post from Sal.

Tunic: Asos
Ponte knit pants: Club Monaco
Cardigan: Anthropologie
Scarf: vintage
Belt: Red Dress Shoppe
Shoes: BC Footwear
Bangles: Amrita Singh

15 comments:

Ravina Sniper said...

Not at all bee-like, to me. I love the way this outfit showcases your long legs and gorgeous face - that scarf really is the perfect accessory to tie it all together and complement your skin tone.
I have to say, you've been my biggest style inspiration lately! Whenever I go shopping I think "How would Audi wear this?" You rock my fashion world, lady!

Patti @ NotDeadYet Style said...

I agree with Ravina - no bees here. I do appreciate the fashion guidance and I adore Spencer's expression: the wisdom of a thousand years. : >

cwhf said...

Spencer is a handsome boy! Glad his leg is getting better.

I love bumblebees (despite my lethal allergy) so I love the yellow/black combo.

WendyB said...

Your dog is working that pose!

Sal said...

Thanks for the shout-out, beautiful! Remind me to sing the McGraw family Bumblebee song for you next time we talk.

Shybiker said...

I love yellow and black; a great combination. And what's wrong with bumblebees? BTW, my last name translates to bumblebee!

Mia said...

I don't mind the bumblebee look, myself, but I think you've successfully avoided any connotation to apiaries here. I'm always so envious of your draping!

Celynne said...

I'm actually totally down with looking like a bee. They're hard workers. And I love the pop of yellow on black.

Kariyah said...

Very pretty scarf, and I must say, bee-like or not, I love the combination of yellow and black!!

http://kariyah.blogspot.com/

Sheila said...

Spencer is so cute. :)

I love the black and yellow together - that pop of colour makes it even more interesting.

Great minds think alike: I did a few yellow outfits this week!

angie said...

Oh my goodness. I don't know what I love most about this photo, Audi - your gloriously happy and fun outfit or adorable Spencer. It's just put a huge smile on my face and I rushed to show hubby Greg too. DIVINE :)

lawyerdoll said...

I'm really loving the draping og the scarf, top, and cardi together... with the rocking belt and skinny pants to keep you from floating away on an ethereal cloud....

ilegirl said...

I admit to being sorely tempted to make some bee puns. Something really unacceptably lame such as, don't worry, bee happy.

Cute outfit. Not looking at all like Bombus terrestris.

Fawn said...

Puppy puppy puppy! I want to squeeeeeeze him!

I also want a pair of those pants. I've been looking for just such a thing with no luck. They're such a perfect basic.

fashion1psychology said...

Love the yellow, you look great. Tights look really good on you, i personally dont wear tights i think my higs are to chunky for them. Maybey you can give me some ponters on how to make them look as good as you do :)
www.fashion1psychology.wordpress.com