Friday, July 15, 2011

Crazy Long Shirt


I saw this long, striped shirtdress on Asos and instantly fell in love. The fabric is very sheer and light, and I knew it would be great layered up for interesting office looks as well as more costumey outfits. As a dress, it really doesn't have a whole lot of shape, but worn open as a crazy long shirt I feel like it works really well. When I saw the picture on the Asos site, this is exactly how I knew I'd be wearing it.

For this outfit, I created shaping at the waist using my wide elastic belt. Without it the dress is very straight and boxy. You can tell from the back view that I actually had to scrunch a lot of the fabric together in the back to make it hang the way I wanted; elastic is really the best sort of belt for this application because once the fabric is in place it will stay there.

The dress nearly skims the floor on the long side; in fact, without heels I think it would be too long. But I'm pretty sure I'll be wearing heels whenever I wear this, so I quickly vetoed my initial idea to shorten it.

Shirtdress: Asos
Top: Max Studio
Ponte knit pants: Club Monaco
Belt: Red Dress Shoppe
Boots: All Black
Bracelet: Betsey Johnson
Earrings: Leslie Danzis

             

13 comments:

A-Dubs said...

Woohoo! First to comment (or so my browser says, at least)!

Love it. You look fantastic.

Woman, you've got style to spare. And thanks for talking us through the process. Some of us have a LOT to learn.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

This looks so cool...I love it!

laniza said...

This is so badass!! Love it!

Sheila said...

It's very Beetlejuice-y! Love it!

Nyssa said...

I'm sorry, but my first thought was, "that's very piratey, Captain."

Megan Mae said...

Wow! I agree with Sheila, it has a beetlejuice-feeling - in a good way! It's a very statement piece and I can see you getting tons of remixing looks out of it. I just love that leather jacket too. The details of it are so incredible.

Patti @ NotDeadYet Style said...

Yes, Beetlejuice in a good way - cause that movie gave me nightmares. But this! is a fantastic look, very big-city.

Jude said...

LOVE this!

Mia said...

I agree with laniza, very badass! You are great at taking dramatic pieces and rocking them. I get nervous when I try and wear stuff like this, like people are going to immediately know I'm not cool enough to really pull it off, haha. But you look super classy. Plus, you work asymmetry really well, which I ordinarily kind of hate.

Shybiker said...

OMG!! I love this!

I differ from the other commentors in that the impression the shirtdress gives me is theatrical: creative and bold. Qualities I attribute to you as a person. I don't see it resembling any known cultural look (not even "Beetlejuice") which is a good thing because it looks original. A smash fashion-hit!

WendyB said...

Wow, I love this. It's very fresh looking!

Anonymous said...

Love it !
I want your jacket :)

Petsmart Coupons said...

Hi! This is very interesting and worth to read. I would really appreciate your way of expression. I should come-back to see your further postings Thanks & Have a nice day……