Monday, June 6, 2011

Evolution



This dress is so adorable, and yet so hard to wear. It occurred to me the other day that the full, bubble-hem skirt is most likely the reason, so I'm thinking of modifying it to give it a standard hem; I've previously done this with a bubble skirt and was very happy with the results. I think the dress will also be lengthened by an inch or two in the process, which should make it easier to wear with heels; right now it's just a smidge short for my comfort.

There's no denying that our weather lately has sucked; we've had wind, rain, clouds, and cold temperatures (OK, 50's and 60's, but still -- it's June, dammit!). Dressing in a non-wintry way has therefore been somewhat of a challenge. I'm glad this springy yellow cardigan made it into my wardrobe, because it's brightened up more than one layered-up, warm ensemble.

There was really no way around wearing tights with this outfit, it was just that cold and wet. I tried lighter colored tights, but somehow they didn't work, so I resorted to my  dark and somewhat gloomy argyles. And since the dress is short and exposes a lot of leg, the boots were really the only way to temper all that pattern. If the dress were a little longer I feel like I could've worn this outfit with pumps or flats. Hopefully the next stage of this dress's evolution will allow me to wear it in a more summery way.

Dress: All Saints
Cardigan: Anthropologie
Belt: Red Dress Shoppe
Necklace: from a vendor in Prague
Tights: Sock Dreams
Boots: All Black
Bag: Michael Kors
Bangles: Amrita Singh

11 comments:

Carmen said...

But, but... I love the bubble. :( Not that it's my business AT ALL! Darling as always though. That bag is rad.

Megan Mae said...

I'll trade you my 98F afternoons. I'm already tired of the heat. I think altering the bubble hem will balance it a bit better. I think your reasons are good ones. I love the combo of navy, grey, and yellow.

Shybiker said...

I love your bag: it's a great design. And I own those tights. It always gives me a thrill when I see stylish women (like you) wearing something I have: it feels like vindication of my fashion-choices.

Patti @ NotDeadYet Style said...

Yes, I love those tights too - and I agree with Shybiker about seeing something on a stylish woman (I have ordered the striped Anthro maxi skirt) : >
I too love the bubble skirt on you but you've got to *feel* it to completely own it.

Cel said...

Bummer about your weather, it's so peculiar. It's absolutely cooking hot here in Ottawa.

Sal said...

I'm yet to done my white version of this dress ... it does seem challenging! But I adore this look. The belted cardigan totally works.

Emma at Daily Clothes Fix said...

Oh my goodness, how did I miss this one. I think this might be my favourite outfit of yours - ever. Which is of course saying something. I love the colours and the cut.

Sheila said...

This yellow is glorious on you, Audi!

I love a bubble hem, but then I'm a lot shorter than you and they seem to make my legs look longer.

Ravina Sniper said...

Love the bright pop of yellow! I'm so over this crap weather, too, June really needs to step it up!

Kish said...

All of it! I love all of it! Dang, you own some great pieces of clothing!

Healthy and Homemade said...

Aww I love the bubble! So cute on you. You definitely don't look dressed for winter, the sunny yellow cardigan and fun tights plus a light dress really works here.