Thursday, May 5, 2011

Style Over Modesty


If you'd seen the listing for this black top on the Asos website, you might have taken one look at the cropped length and bare midriff shown in the photos and immediately passed it by. And ordinarily, so would I. But as it turned out I had also just added this white dress to my cart, and this top immediately struck me as something I could wear with it.

As much as I love the clean look of optic white, it doesn't look great near my face. So I bought the dress knowing that I'd need to wear it with something else, because at the sale price it was a good enough deal to live with the limitation. And since in San Francisco layering is a necessity for much of the year anyway, it wasn't really that big a sacrifice.

The black top, which is made of t-shirt jersey in the front and sheer chiffon in the back, was perfect. With its funky dolman sleeves and asymmetrical hem, it provided an interesting, modern look and a nice sharp contrast against the white.

If you look closely at the dress, you'll see that the opaque lining layer is scandalously short. For that reason I was initially dubious about wearing the dress over nothing but leggings, because it essentially amounts to wearing leggings as pants. In the end I decided I didn't care, because anything I tried to layer under the dress took away from the clean, simple lines of the outfit. And looking at it now, I feel like I was plenty covered up. Score a victory for style over modesty.

Dress, top: Asos....  Leggings: Foot Traffic....  Bag: L.A.M.B.....  Shoes: BC Footwear

14 comments:

Megan Mae said...

I love this black and white outfit. It's very clean and polished while still being quirky and outside the box.

My rule of thumb (for leggings, not tights!) is that as long as the crotch area is covered, you're safe. Tights are too thin, but leggings are thicker and usually opaque.

Kristin said...

I am enamored with the unexpected lengths and layers of this. Plus the graphic black and white give such a clean, mod edge. Love so many of your looks, Audi, but this one I covet!

Scary Closet said...

It is perfect. Honest! Leggings were definitely the way to go, and this is one my fave outfits of yours. LOVE IT.

beyourownadventure said...

I love this outfit. I probably would have passed that shirt by, but seeing it on you, it's fab! I love the different lengths front & back & it goes great with the dress. Spot on!

Dawn said...

Very successful outfit with a graphic punch! My eye was drawn to the red object on the shelf over your shoulder. You might try it with a red purse next time.

Kish said...

You have the most unique pieces that I've seen in this blogging world! Every time I look at your blog, I am blown away...like with these boots in this post! I would love to walk through your closet!

Marie said...

I love this outfit too, especially since it's black and white. I'm amazed that you were able to see the potential in the black top and make it work - it turned out great!

Cel said...

This is a great outfit. Usually I need some sort of colour to keep me happy but this simple black and white outfit in particular is just awesome. Love the fun drape of the dress in the front.

Sal said...

Interesting! I would never have declared the white dress too short for leggings wear ... but then, it's not on MY body. I know how certain garments make you feel so exposed.

These are some utterly fab shapes and layers, and I'm glad you stuck with the clean leggings. They're really perfect.

Shybiker said...

I like it! Definitely unusual and certainly eye-catching. I feel it works. Besides, it's nice to experiment.

Nicky said...

Hey! What's with that pose on the bottom right? Not your usual pose,but you look adorable all blogger girl looking to the side and pigeon-toed.

angie said...

I think that the black cropped high contrast top over the white top makes it look longer!

You look elegant, playful, whimsical and edgy all at once. Love :)

Fawn said...

This is SO CUTE! I never wear white because it makes me look washed-out (and also because it attracts red wine and spaghetti sauce from the ether), but you're making me rethink that!

LPC said...

I really like this one. The proportions are just great.