Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Peggy Bundy



Recently I decided I wanted a pair of thick, ponte knit leggings to wear as pants; this revelation was brought about after I wore regular leggings under a thin and exceedingly short white dress and spent the day feeling somewhat exposed. I tracked these down at Westfield Mall, and they're perfect: they have a zipper and button fly, and real pockets. They are completely, 100% opaque. By any definition they're pants. And yet. That's right, I felt somewhat exposed.

Don't get me wrong, I love the way this outfit looked, and I'd certainly wear it again. But the form-fitting stretchy pants combined with sky-high heels made me feel a bit Peggy Bundy for my current comfort level. That's ok; comfort levels can be adjusted. But until I get used to these, I think I'll stick to wearing them with upper layers that are a little longer. In fact, the short white dress will be just the thing.

Speaking of Peggy Bundy, I have a good story about her. A couple of years ago Mark and I were in a shop on Haight Street looking at steampunk/Burning Man-style clothes; I was trying on a gorgeous but pricey vest and another shopper paused to tell me how great it looked on me. The shopper was none other than Katey Sagal, who of course played Peggy Bundy. Obviously, I bought the vest!

Cardigan, top: Anthropologie
Pants: Club Monaco
Shoes: Pour la Victoire
Bag: Michael Kors

In other news, I walked into the Michael Kors store while I was in the mall and fell head over heels for this gorgeous navy blue bag. Along with yet another bag that'll make its appearance in a couple days, that's 3 new ones this year. Normally I'm much more of a shoe gal than a bag gal, because few bags really move me the way shoes do; in fact, I've sometimes gone 2-3 years without buying a new bag. So when I see one that really rocks my world, I snap it up. 

12 comments:

Rad in BK said...

You look great in your opaque and shapely pants. And what a great Katey Sagal story. I had a suspicion that she was kind, generous, and had great taste.

Patti @ NotDeadYet Style said...

The pants look great, very sleek! And your new bag too - I love the color. Katy Sagal is one of my age-mentors, love her. : >

Shybiker said...

OMG! You met Katey! That's so cool.

Your mention of her character is amusing and, being as old as I am, I didn't need the helpful link you added. I don't know if you've seen "Sons of Anarchy" but Katey's new character in it is so utterly removed from Peggy Bundy as to be unrecognizable.

Deborah said...

The pants look great! I think the shorter top works really well but I am a fan of the longer layered look. Just want to say I am really enjoying your blog. Only found it a few days ago and have read all your earlier posts. Blogs like yours are slowly replacing fashion magazines for me as your style, thoughts and ideas are just so much more interesting and edgy than what's in the mags.

JavaChick said...

I am the same way. I am a total shoe-aholic but purses not so much. But every once in a while I'll see one that I love. Which happened yesterday. And I bought it. :)

Sal said...

I can see why you snapped up that bag. It's phenomenal.

And I still can't quite do ponte pants as pants either. Much as I'd like to!

Cel said...

Pants in general just tend to make me feel exposed, which is mostly why I stopped wearing them. That is a pretty awesome bag though, can see why you bought it!

Gina said...

I love the yellow cardigan! I try to buy yellow things every once in a while, but they just don't look that great on me. You pull it off. Also, I can see why you fell for that bag! A good bag every once in a while is a solid investment.

Margaret said...

Can you reveal more about the ponte leggings/pants such as where they came from within the richness of San Francisco Centre. I could use something in between tights and jeggings....for layering with dresses that are a bit too short!

Emma at Daily Clothes Fix said...

Love your Peggy Bundy story. Not sure you're totally channelling her here (which is a good thing). Love the top and you can't go wrong with yellow.

Audi said...

Margaret: The pants came from the Club Monaco store. I also tried some similar ones on at Mango, but they were cheaply made and not completely opaque.

Kish said...

uurraaarrrghhh...that's the sound of me drooling over those shoes....urrrggghhh....