Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mixing Metals



I figured out what it is that bugs me about this dress -- the straps are just a little too far apart for my narrow shoulders, so they keep falling down all damn day. The problem is totally fixable, so before I wear it next I'm going to make the necessary alterations. Less of an issue, but something I still notice, is the fact that the buckles and eyelets on the straps are silver finish, while the buttons are brass. Normally I don't mind mixing metals in the least, but on the same piece it looks a little off. Luckily I know someone who has lots of metal hardware at his disposal, so I suspect this can also be fixed without too much trouble.



Dress: Fanplusfriend Garden
Shirt: Forever 21
Boots: from Scoop in Copenhagen
Bag: Coccinelle
Bracelet: Wendy Mink

10 comments:

Beth said...

It looks like the rings on the back are silver also...

Are you thinking of shifting everything to brass or silver? My first thought was going brass, but I hate changing eyelets.

I really like how you used the leopard print shirt to keep the jumper from getting too cute :)

Katie, Interrobangs Anonymous said...

Changing eyelets is a PAIN - I'd stick to just changing the buckles.

I have to alter all my strapped dresses because my torso is super short. Because I have to buy for my chest size, the straps always end up being miles too long.

Terry said...

Wow, I didn't notice on my own, but that is just the weirdest thing.

Ravina Sniper said...

What a cute dress! I love the lacing detail in the back. I'm still undecided on mixing metals... sometimes it works for me and sometimes it just doesn't!

Cel said...

I think I'd REALLY need to love a dress before going through so much effort to keep it. I like the leopard print :)

Becky said...

Still a really cute dress! Goes perfectly with that bag. :)

Sal said...

I love it when a style problem gets suddenly deciphered!

Sheila said...

*gasp* I love this - the leopard, the jumper dress...the boots! Fabulous.

I dislike it when the metals are not mismatched on purpose.

vibrata chromodoris said...

Have you thought of criss-crossing the straps in the back? that's sure to keep them up.

Audi said...

Beth, Katie, Cel: Since Mark has all the tools required for setting eyelets easily, it actually won't be a big deal at all. If I had to hammer those suckers by hand, I'd certainly swap out the buttons for silver ones instead.

vibrata chromodoris: That is an excellent idea -- I'm going to give it a try! Hopefully the straps are long enough; that would be an incredibly easy solution.