Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Downtown (things will be great when you're downtown)

I recently attended two back-to-back scientific conferences in San Francisco, which was such a treat. Conference #1 was on a Thursday and Friday and Conference #2 was the following Monday - Wednesday; 5 straight business days of getting to live my dream of essentially never leaving the city limits except for personal reasons such as travel or visiting friends. Why would I ever want to leave when everything I need is right here? Everything's waiting for me!

The last time I got to live and work in San Francisco was in 1992; I worked at a photo lab downtown, and although my bosses were two of the most horrible people I've ever had the misfortune to meet, I still got a thrill every day out of taking the subway downtown and being in the midst of city life. I always thought it would be cool to be one of those well-dressed professional women, with their blazers and heels and stylish handbags, because obviously, working with chemicals in a photo lab didn't really lend itself to wearing nice clothes. When I attend conferences in town, I feel like I've finally become one of those women.

This All Saints dress was just the perfect thing to wear to a conference, because it has many of the interesting details that are key elements of my style, while still offering a tailored and elegant look.  Conferences are great opportunities for networking, so I generally dress a little more professionally for them than I do for my usual kooky office looks. For what purpose I might wish to network at an industry conference I'll leave it to you to guess. Shhh... just don't tell my boss.


Dress: All Saints
Blazer: Promod (Prague)
Belt: Red Dress Shoppe
Necklace: Wendy Brandes
Tights: Hue
Shoes: Bettye Muller
Bag: Coccinelle

15 comments:

Beth said...

Because you should ALWAYS be networking at conferences - you never know what great connection you'll make!

Question about the dress: how does it hold up to a day of sitting in conference center chairs? Does it wrinkle or does it hide the rumple fairly well?

Shybiker said...

Beautiful outfit: both professional and stylish.

I love San Francisco and spent a week there a while back. And I feel the same way going into NYC for work: it's like living a work-fantasy.

Good luck with the networking!

Audi said...

Beth: So true, conferences were made for networking! As far as the dress goes, it's great for hiding wrinkles and in fact doesn't wrinkle easily at all. I think it's some sort of rayon or poly blend fabric, though the texture feels like silk.

Shybiker: Working in NYC takes it to a whole other level! SF feels like a small town in comparison.

dcresider said...

I love your outfits and wish I can don your style here in DC, but it ain't gonna happen.

WendyB said...

Yay, my Little Woolf! :-)

Megan Mae said...

That dress is perfectly styled to business with that blazer. I also love how the nude pumps look with tights.

You never know who you'll run into again, so making connections never hurts!

A-Dubs said...

Oh, you're one of those women alright - and then some! I love how you've kept your personal flair while acquiescing to more conservative professional demands. Once again, I am taking copious notes.

Also, here's hoping the networking went well!

Ravina Sniper said...

This is a fantastic look on you! I struggle so much with the idea of dressing "professional" while still keeping my personal style intact. I say the idea of it because I don't even have any professional-looking clothes! You're giving me some great ideas here, though. Cheers, Audi!

Sheila said...

This is a fabulously professional look - the tights are awesome, as is the jacket and the dress - and that belt adds just the right amount of kickass!

I love networking at conferences - I bet people thought you owned your own company, you looked so fine!

Sal said...

Damn, this is just stellar, Audi. Professional and chic, but still innovative and unique. Perfect for conference-going!

Allie (Wardrobe Oxygen) said...

I love this look, it's professional, it's appropriate for the event, but it's so very you. Fabulous as always!

And dcresider, you can dress like this in DC as long as your job isn't on the Hill. And even then, some risks and personality is acceptable! :)

Linda said...

I love that outfit, and I love that song! It kind of makes me tear up, actually. It's hard to explain. I guess I have strong feelings about the fact that civilization has invented the wonderful institution of the city to meet our physical and emotional needs as human beings, yet so many people think there's something unworthy about it somehow.

Audi said...

Linda: I do too! I think it's the youthful exuberance of it, the idealization of what a city is or can be.

Emma at Daily Clothes Fix said...

Wow, I love your dress. It looks amazing with the colour and pattern that your blazer and tights add. You look amazing (I'd hire you).

Cel said...

I actually both live and work downtown here in Ottawa. Of course Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, can hardly hold a candle to San Fran, but still. It takes me a little over 15 minutes to walk to work... and let me tell ya... I do it in sweat pants and a wife beater so that my nice work clothes don't get all icky hah.