Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Nothing But Neutrals

Drat, once again my dark olive skirt shows up as black. I assure you it is green, which makes for a far more interesting outfit than if the skirt were indeed black. You'll just have to take my word for it.

I love how versatile this floral top is; I've worn it with soft pinks and purples in the spring, I've paired it with bare arms and legs in the hottest part of the year, and here I've layered it up with nothing but neutrals for a winter look.

The tulle skirt serves two purposes here: warmth and contrast. Without the white border peeking out at the hem, the outfit felt way too dark to me, and there was nothing to anchor the brightness of the top. The tulle also set off the dark green skirt from the black leggings and made the difference in color more obvious; at least, it did in person.

Cardigan: Express
Top: Mica
Skirts: Noa Noa
Boots: John Fluevog

8 comments:

fashionoverfifty said...

wow. What a different way to combine proportions...the full skirt, and the empire waist belt--and it LOOKS GOOD! Dont you just hate it when the color dosent come out right? Had that discussion today on my blog...
Love those boots too, so unique.

Cel said...

Once again, yay for versatile clothing items! Your skirt looks like a very dark green to me, looks good. I like that you wear your belt over the sweater too, I should try that sometime! Also loving those boots.

tinyjunco said...

that tunic is the first thing i'd steal if i were burgling your closet (this is strictly in the realm of fantasy!). beautiful colors and print, really nice drape and uniquely versatile cut!

i really love how you've belted the cardi over this top to create the archetypal 1910's neckline - an even better style reference with those boots. dang! out of the ball park again! take care, steph

WendyB said...

Love tulle.

Betty Scandretti said...

Wow, those boots are just amazing! I love the silhouette of this outfit :)

JavaChick said...

I love those boots!

Sheila said...

Mmmm...I was just looking at those boots on the Fluevog website. Lovely layers, Audi!

Emma at Daily Clothes Fix said...

You've done layers to perfection again. I love those boots and that belt too.