Thursday, January 20, 2011

At the Crossroads


Yesterday's sweater dress wasn't the only gem I found at the Crossroads Trading Company; when I spotted this blazer I just knew it was going to fit me perfectly. I fell in love with the 40's-style wide lapels and beautiful tailoring in both the front and the back, and at $40 it was an amazing steal for a designer piece that's in perfect condition.

The blue sweater ended up being more hidden than I intended it to be, but the v-neck just left too much skin exposed for as cold as it was, so much of it was by necessity covered by the scarf. The sweater is a basic cashmere one and has been a wardrobe staple for many years; it was nice to bring it out again and layer it under this gorgeous blazer, and I like the way it picks up the subtle blue stripes in the skirt's pattern.

Blazer: Karen Millen England
Scarf: Banana Republic
Sweater: Nordstrom, ages ago
Skirt: La Redoute
Boots: Scoop in Copenhagen

10 comments:

fashionoverfifty said...

What a score on that beautiful jacket! And it does fit you perfecly! I love the slip under the full skirt--I don't know if I could pull it off tho. Paula

A-C said...

That *is* an amazing find! I'm a huge fan of the scarf and the blazer together--they look great together.

Penelope said...

Just found your blog and have been reading muchly in your archives. Very interesting! I love that scarf and would steal it in a heartbeat, btw.

I noticed a couple of your outfits feature some glorious high-waisted wide-legged pants. Where in the world have you found them? Despite being petite, I have such a long waist/low hip proportion that I am most comfortable in high waisted pants and no one wants to sell them to short people!

Miss B said...

Oh my-lanta! That blazer is to die for. That is a great find, I wish I could have half the good luck you do thrifting/bargin shopping.

Ashe Mischief said...

Oooh, this outfit is so, so lovely. It's like a modern English riding outfit. Are you wearing a slip under the skirt, or is it attached?

northeastchic said...

Just found you blog, love your sytle its certainly very creative and I mean that in the most wonderful way. I'm wondering how you bloggers find these great things thrifting? I just find junk; wonder what the secret is? Headed over to browse your belts...

Sal said...

You were right: The fit of that blazer is perfection!

Audi said...

Penelope: The only high-waisted pants I own came from Anthropologie. I'm not petite (5'8"), so unfortunately I can't really help you in that department. But couldn't you just buy a regular pair and have them hemmed?

Ashe: The underskirt is attached. The skirt actually used to have a bubble hem, where the top plaid layer was bunched up and attached to the lower, lace-trimmed layer. But I didn't like the shape of the skirt, so I cut the layers apart and hemmed up the plaid layer so that the same amount of the lacy layer would still show.

northeastchic: I'm not sure I really have a secret other than being patient and looking through all the racks. Sal at Already Pretty has done some great thrifting posts though, so you should definitely check her blog.

Sheila said...

I went to a Crossroads Trading in Seattle a couple of years ago and loved it - I wish I'd had hours to go through it. I did find two reasonably-priced items: my light green tweed skirt with the embroidered flowers, and my Steve Madden tan/cream heeled Oxfords.

That blazer is incredible - I love the double lapel detail and the seaming. That's the kind of gem that makes second-hand shopping worthwhile. LOVE.

Healthy and Homemade said...

What a steal for that blazer! It really does fit you perfectly =)