Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Twisted


Here's my second go at styling this maxi dress; this is after I modified the twisted strap by covering the twisted part with black jersey fabric. It looks better, but I think it will be further improved by twisting the other side, because twisting the strap actually makes the dress fit better across the bust. I'm still not sure if I'll keep the black jersey accent, but I'll figure that out after the next round of modification. I foolishly forgot to take any close-up photos of the modified strap, but I'll do that the next time.

With this outfit I wore some pretty substantial heels, which I was concerned might look funny, but ultimately I was pleased with how it turned out. These shoes make me about 5'11", but still I don't think they throw the proportions off in any way. I'm really encouraged to try out some full length skirts now, so that's high on my thrift shopping list.

Shirt: H&M
Dress: Forever 21
Belt: not sure, I've had it for ages
Bangles: Amrita Singh
Socks: Sock Dreams
Boots: Doc Martens

10 comments:

Cel said...

That maxi dress really looks fantastic on you! I like the belt, it keeps you from looking like one long giant stripey tube hah. And I have to say the heals are in no way odd looking, they really work well with the whole outfit. :)

WendyB said...

Your boots look spectacularly white! Do you have a special white-shoe cleaning technique?

Sal said...

Love that argyle peeking out ...

Audi said...

WendyB: The secret to these particular white shoes is simply that they haven't been worn very many times. But, the other weekend I was cleaning up several pairs of shoes and was using Dr. Marten's Wonder Balm, which did an excellent job of cleaning up scuffs and filling in scratched color. I suspect it will make a big difference if and when these shoes start to lose their sparkly whiteness. I'd definitely recommend it!

leah said...

I am glad you have come over to the dark maxi side. Thrifting them is easy. This outfit is great, I love the white doc martens.

Allie said...

Sal beat me to the punch, I was going to write the same comment! :)

ReaderRita said...

LOVE the sox with the outfit!
(oh geeze, two others have mentioned the same thang...oh well...)

Emma at Daily Clothes Fix said...

I love the low-slung belt with this. I'll have to try this with my maxi. Thanks for the inspiration.

gina said...

I love the all black and white look, and the craziness of the doc martens and argyle socks peeking out from the bottom of what would otherwise be a relatively conservative look. So much fun!

Anonymous said...

Loving the Amrita Singh bangles! I found a great site which showcases a bunch of Amrita Singh jewellery so if anyone is interested, have a look! www.dia-boutique.com