Monday, December 6, 2010

International Pie For Breakfast Month

It finally cooled down enough to break out my vintage 1960's wool dress and try pairing it with my black boots, with the cuffs turned up for an over-the-knee length. For this outfit I didn't pair the dress with its matching cropped jacket, opting instead to modernize it a bit with the velvet blazer. But interestingly, when I pulled out the set I realized for the first time that I could use the jacket to give a 60's vibe to other outfits, so I've got one coming up with it. Funny that it never occurred to me before, probably because I always keep the dress and jacket hanging together.

I'd like to digress for a moment and discuss one of my favorite elements of the holiday season: pie for breakfast. Is there anything quite so delightful? A slice of pie is great for dessert, but to me nothing quite matches the satisfaction that comes with eating it for breakfast (especially pumpkin pie, my favorite). If I were a songwriter I would write an ode to having pie for the most important meal of the day, but with my limited musical talents I'll simply declare December as International Pie For Breakfast Month. Please feel free to celebrate accordingly.

Dress: Violetville Vintage
Necklace: vintage
Jacket: a gift from Sal
Boots: Modern Vintage

20 comments:

Kasmira said...

Ha! I had apple crisp for breakfast earlier this month. And what is apple crisp but a lazy woman's apple pie? Long live pie-for-breakfast month!

Flight Attendant Extraordinaire said...

I count that as one of the perks of being a grown up now. I remember being a little kid and wanting to eat cake & pie for breakfast. Well, now I do. And I enjoy every bite!

Diana said...

Completely true! Pie for breakfast tastes twice as good as pie for dessert. I am a big pie enthusiast.

I am also enthused over that velvet blazer. So cute.

Charlotte said...

We love pie for breakfast at my house! Especially strawberry. It helps that I am always the pie maker and so get lots of leftovers.

Lisa said...

Love the outfit.

Woo Hoo! Who knew December was pie for breakfast month???? Thanks! My 10 year old daughter is gonna LOVE you. :)

Michelle said...

Mmmm, pie.

Reminds me of this!
http://www.weebls-stuff.com/wab/pie/

paisleyapron said...

Hurrah! When I was a kid, my mom would make pumpkin pie from scratch and lots of it, so we'd always get it for breakfast this time of year. The only downside was that we couldn't have ice cream or whipped cream on it. But I do now, as an adult! Yay for pie and weather chilly enough to wear wool and velvet.

girl from Berlin said...

great outfit, very chic!

Digs said...

Love the look - très chic.

sarah said...

how funny, I just had pie for breakfast - homemade cherry pie with a dollop of yogurt!

Sal said...

Too right. I've had pumpkin pie for breakfast at least twice in the past two months, and hardly a thing makes me happier.

I always get a charge out of seeing the garments I've given you on you. Still convinced that I bought that jacket knowing we'd become friends one day so I could just hand it over!

Fawn said...

Mmm. Need to make more pumpkin pie now.

Can we have a picture of the dress without a jacket over, please? I love vintage sheath dresses. Sigh.

Heather said...

I actually know a song about pie for breakfast. It's the finale to an opera based on the Devil and Daniel Webster, which my husband sang in in grad school. Can't find a recording online, but here's some text quotes: http://books.google.com/books?id=uIPDlKlchQ0C&lpg=PA246&ots=hu9XOcK8pT&dq=devil%20and%20daniel%20webster%20opera%20pie%20for%20breakfast&pg=PA246#v=onepage&q=devil%20and%20daniel%20webster%20opera%20pie%20for%20breakfast&f=false

Emma at Daily Clothes Fix said...

Love your outfit, especially the boots. Looking forward to seeing the matching jacket soon.

Mmm, pie. Pie for breakfast sounds great. I am known amongst my friends for once having profiteroles for breakfast, so count me in.

lawyerdoll said...

I didn't get any pie! I'm feeling ripped-off now.

Great outfit!

orchidsinbuttonholes said...

I love the detailing on this velvet blazer - the row of tiny buttons make it so perfectly different. And I love the silhouette of that vintage dress, especially with the OTK boots and striped tights, and how the dress is the perfect backdrop for that necklace. Such a cool, modern way to wear vintage.

WendyB said...

Pie is the best food EVAH! I could eat it all day every day.

angie said...

Having desert for breakfast is the best! And this outfit is the best too, Audi. I *really* like how crisp and clean the result is - an outfit I would wear myself. Beautiful and with just enough Audi fabness!

I think we are boot twins.

Audi said...

Fawn: Why of course! Here's a past outfit with the rest of the dress revealed: http://geekthreads.blogspot.com/2009/12/built-to-last.html

Sheila said...

This is a beautiful classic look on you, Audi! I love it with the knee-high boots. Can't wait to see how you style the jacket.