Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Tightly Wrapped

Some astute reader spotted this top online and directed me to it, and now I can't seem to find the message to figure out who it was. At any rate, thank you -- it is, in fact, precisely my style.

The one little issue with this top is that where the two sides come together along the bottom hem, they do not stay closed, which means that with a low-waisted bottom there will be a patch of exposed skin. Not classy! So I paired it with a high-waisted skirt and made extra sure I wouldn't be flashing my ashen abdomen by securing everything with a tightly wrapped obi belt.

I didn't want to detract from the olive green and navy blue combination by adding too much black, so I chose patterned tights instead of solids. I thought this minimized the impact of the black and kept the outfit from looking too dark.

Note that the obi and the skirt don't match exactly; the obi is a brighter blue than the skirt, giving the outfit some depth and keeping it from being too predictable. That brighter blue is picked up again in the shoes -- which, by the way, have recently been made light-years more comfortable with a little stretching (see my posts on shoe stretching here and here).



Top: Forever 21
Obi: Sunhee Moon
Skirt:
Shoes: Paolo

22 comments:

LPC said...

Well wow. I don't even know how to say how great you look here. Watch out Ines de la Fressange.

Ashe Mischief said...

Ooooh, Audi! Man this outfit is smoking. Modest, but sexy, just dressy enough to go from day to night.
Love love love it.

Kate said...

Super Gorgeous look as always!

Obi belts are just wonderful!

et said...

I agree that top is 'you.' I have a top with the same issue - slightly open below the lowest button, so I have to layer under it and/or wear high waisted skirt/pants to make it acceptable. In these days of low waisted bottoms, why has this design feature for tops caught on? Are they just forcing us to buy more layers?

Arya said...

This is a wonderful outfit, and I particularly like the play of olive and blue(s). Is the shirt a current offering at F21? I tried to find it online, but was swamped with such a huge selection! Would you be willing to point me toward it?

seattleyoginiATcomcastDOTnet

Charlotte said...

So much great detail in the top. I love the color combo too. I really need to find me some olive clothes somewhere.

Angeline said...

I love this outfit! The different shades of blue are beautiful, and the shape the jacket and pencil skirt creates is so flattering.

WendyB said...

LOL @ "ashen abdomen"!

Anonymous said...

Wow, now that's a great outfit. I love it!
Sharon

Hannah said...

I have to agree, 'smoking' is the word! I love the contrast of the olive and blue. Beautiful.

Franca said...

love the belt and top! One day i will make myself an obi!

Sal said...

The detailing on that top is amazing. I'm astonished it's from F21!

Sheila said...

Oh, WOW, this is one of my absolute favourites of all your outfits! I love that top. The blue and olive are just awesome. Great choice of tights.

Emily Kennedy said...

Oooh, this is divine on you. It's very '40's referential. Delish!

freeda said...

This is definitely one of the best outfits I've seen from you yet. You look amazing.

Emma at Daily Clothes Fix said...

What a great look. I love the colour combination and the silhouette.

orchidsinbuttonholes said...

That blouse certainly does fit your style, but I love how your sense of style made it work even better for you; that bright blue obi belt is gorgeous on its own but perfect (and functional!) with that blouse. I love the mix of color, the detailing in the back, and those awesome tights.

You're such an inspiration, Audi, but this outfit's an instant favorite!

Deja Pseu said...

LOVE the peplum on this!!! And the olive/navy pairing is fresh.

Chelsea said...

wow, you look stunning in this getup, audi! i love how you mixed two different shades of blue with the olive green top. and the whole silhouette is just va-va-voomy! which I love :)

Linda said...

This is so elegant! Like you should be wearing one of those fashion-photo hats with an enormous saucerlike brim!

Audi said...

Arya: I can't find it on the F21 website anymore, so it looks like it's out of stock. :-(

Kathleen said...

You look great--this is one of my fave looks I've seen you post on your blog!