Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Relaxed Suit

Sal wrote recently about this season's thriftable trends, and mentioned velvet as one of them. And what did I find during my most recent thrifting experience? This cropped velvet waistcoat by J. Crew (coincidentally, the shirt is also a thrifted J. Crew find). To me this is a great way to wear velvet -- I'm not so keen on a whole dress made out of the stuff (not since the 80's, anyway), but a waistcoat or blazer adds that soft texture and sheen without dominating the outfit. I totally forgot to photograph the adorable back of the waistcoat, but I'll show it to you the next time.

The waistcoat is a deep chocolate brown, which is more apparent in the detail shot. The back is a striped yellow, black and brown silk, the sort of pattern you might find on a man's tie or lining a suit jacket. The mixture of the menswear shape and back of the vest with the feminine texture of the velvet gave me the idea to pair it with trousers and the casual waffle-weave shirt in order to give the outfit the appearance of a relaxed suit. Instead of an actual tie, I added the scarf and let it hang straight down the center just as a tie would do. If it were a little less bulky I'd have tucked it under the waistcoat, but I didn't want to look like I have a beer gut.

By the way, I tied the scarf using the first technique I demonstrated in my video tutorial.

Shirt, waistcoat: thrifted
Scarf: Banana Republic
Pants: Anthropologie
Boots: Bronx

11 comments:

WendyB said...

I've got to step up my scarf-tying game!

Rad_in_Broolyn said...

Great find! I like the improvised suit.

Anonymous said...

I like the way the sarf hangs down. Though it sadly hides the front of the waistcoat. So if you wear it again, I'd love to see the complete front, together with the back you mentioned. :-)

Sharon

Sal said...

You look so fab in widelegs, Audi. I envy you that.

And thanks for the shout-out, lady!

Someone said...

Very cute!

One of the ways I wear velvet/velour is as T-shirts, over long-sleeve underlayers - either long-sleeve knit Ts or collared button-fronts. A few years back I found myself picking up a number of velvet T-shirts at thrifts. They are nice soft layers on cool days.

robin said...

Looks comfy and elegant. Very nice!

Emma at Daily Clothes Fix said...

Love your menswear look. But a good call not to go into the beer gut territory - not all men's looks should be channeled.

Looking forward to seeing the back of the waistcoat. The front is very cute.

wild africa said...

a good call not to go into the beer gut territory - not all men's looks should be channeled .So if you wear it again, I'd love to introduce Herve Leger Dress was founded in 1985 by designer currently known as Herve Leger bandage. Leroux has its name after losing the rights to the name of Herve Leger.

Fawn said...

Score! On my last thrifting trip, I snagged a black stretch velvet pencil skirt which I intend to wear to bits.

Between Laundry Days said...

This is so darn rad. That vest is such a find!

angie said...

This is the most "mainstream" outfit I have seen you post - and I really like it too! Love you in those wide legs :)