Thursday, September 9, 2010

Birthday

Wow, this is my third birthday to roll around since I started the blog. Good thing you all remember me when I was still in my thirties! I've clearly left those far behind now; at 41 I certainly can't pretend to be clinging to the last traces of my third decade anymore. My 40's have gotten off to a great start though, and not only that, but I informed Mark last night that I fully intend to look as great as Andie MacDowell when I hit my 50's. So clearly I've still got a lot to look forward to!

A few weeks ago a package arrived for me from my mom, with this beaded belt inside. Turns out she was out shopping with my sisters, saw this, and thought it was something I'd like. Aren't moms the best?! And aren't spontaneous gifts the best too? There's something truly special about receiving a gift that was selected for no other reason than someone was thinking of you. Not that birthday presents aren't wonderful too!

When I wore this outfit, I started out with the teal skirt hiked all the way up over my bustline as shown here; I liked just having the hint of teal sticking out at the hem. But I have to admit to yanking the skirt further down before the end of the day, because the 2 layers were a bit too clingy for my liking, and the whole thing kept creeping up into the 'dangerously short' zone. I prefer the proportions of the outfit this way, but in the end practicality won out.


Skirt: LA Made
Dress: Skunkfunk
Belt: A gift from my awesome mom
Shoes: Fly London

21 comments:

Diana said...

I love that belt! Spontaneous gifts are absolutely the best kind ever.

Rebecca said...

Happy birthday. I like the belt. Your outfit really plays up the color of the beads.

tinyjunco said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tinyjunco said...

Happy Birthday! age is a funny thing. i don't know when i got in the habit, but for a couple of decades now i go by 'fives' - 20, 25, 30, 35, etc.
so according to this 'system', now you'd still be '40'. in couple of years you'd be '45' for around five years, and so on.
somehow it seems less of a 'thing' when it's kinda vague and it only changes every five years.....

or i'm just nuts. either way, have a great time!!!

Megan Mae said...

Happy Birthday!

Mom's really are great about spontaneous gifts.

LPC said...

Happy Birthday Audi!

Fer said...

happy birthday! although I hardly ever commment here (except from when my mother tongue is the main subject of one of your posts :D), I really truly love your blog. it's in my top 5 for sure, and I get really excited when I see your updates in my Google Reader :)

I wish you all the best, today and forever.

um beijo from Brazil!

WendyB said...

Console yourself with the fact that I'll always be older than you. I think that about Halle Berry.

Cancerian Moon said...

Happy birthday Audi! :) Enjoy your day!

Deja Pseu said...

Happy Birthday! Hope it's a blast!

Miss T said...

Happy birthday! This is such a good color on you. I am always attracted to orange, but it never looks that great with my skin tone.

Emily Kennedy said...

Happy birthday you excellent woman! Thank you for being an amazing blogger and super stylish being!

Sal said...

Hope the birthday festivities are taking you into the weekend, beautiful!

Sheila said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you had a fabulous day!

Love that beaded belt (and those shoes - love!).

notSupermum said...

Happy, happy birthday Audi, and you look great not only for your age but for any age. I'm pleased to read that you're embracing your 40s. :-)

La Historiadora de Moda said...

Happy birthday! I hope it was a fantastic day!

Emma at Daily Clothes Fix said...

Happy birthday to you.

You look lovely in your red and teal. The belt is a great present. You're right, Mum's are the best.

ReaderRita said...

Have a lovely birthday week!(yes, week!)
Thank you for your stylish and intellectual awesomeness, we hope your life is as delightful for you as your posts are for us,
and thanks Audi's mom, for havin' her!
Yay, birthday!!!

Clare said...

I'm a little late getting on the birthday train, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AUDI!!!

Fawn said...

Happy birthday, September sister! Now that I'm home, too, I can't wait to hear more about your adventures in the desert.

orchidsinbuttonholes said...

I'm a bit behind on my blog reading, but happy happy birthday, Audi! I hope it was a wonderful one.

I love the detailing on that dress - the neckline and embroidery are just fantastic, and that color is lovely with your complexion.