Thursday, September 2, 2010

As Intended

Here's that same open front vest I posted a couple days ago; by this time our heat wave was in full swing and the vest did indeed prove to be a great way to layer in warm weather. Behold, arms AND legs are bared, that's how warm it was! WAS being the operative word, as you'll hear a little more about tomorrow.

I took advantage of the heat to wear this linen skirt with bare legs, since it has a tendency to bunch up when I wear it over tights. It really was made for summer anyway, being an airy, open weave underneath and covered by a tissue thin but densely-woven layer on top. The dual layers mean that no slip is necessary for opacity, and yet the breathable fabric is nice and cool. I picked up this skirt last Christmas in Tulum and have been longing for weather in which I could wear it as it was intended.

I don't wear these sandals very often, mainly because it's rarely warm enough, but also because one of them makes an annoying whooshing sound as I walk; it sounds like it's expelling air when I step down. I'm assuming there are actually air chambers underneath the foot bed, one of which isn't sealed properly. Has anyone else had this problem with a shoe? Is there a way to fix it?

Top: Noa Noa
Vest: Forever 21
Belt: Red Dress Shoppe
Skirt: from a boutique in Tulum, Mexico
Sandals: Sofft

12 comments:

Jodi said...

So funny, I have sandals that look almost the exact same and they also make that weird noise!!

I head to San Fran next weekend, good to know about the heads up about the weather!! ohhh boot shopping here I come- cant wait!!!

Sheila said...

Oh, I had a pair of shoes that did that. So annoying. I don't know how to fix it - I just avoided wearing them in quiet places! However, most tellingly, I no longer own them.

I love all these pale colours on you - just lovely, Audi! They look great with the new hair.

Chelsea said...

okay I'm just loving seeing all the layers but light enough for hot weather.

and sofft shoes are so comfy! but air expelling sounds as you step would annoy the shit outta me too. wish I had a solution to share!

shavalena said...

Clarks Wellfleet Tbar- awesome cork sandals with NO WHOOSING NOISE! And, just the right amount of metal hardware to make them funky. Great shoes.
http://www.zappos.com/clarks-wellfleet-tbar-black-leather

WendyB said...

I have one squeaky shoe but it doesn't bother me enough to bring it to a cobbler -- you should try though!

Seamyst said...

Look all over the shoes, paying close attention to seams and where parts of the shoe meet. See if there is a small hole or split - that might be causing the whooshing noise. If it is, a small dab of Shoe Goo over the hole, covering it completely, should do the trick.

Holly said...

I have a pair of soft spot shoes that does that too - kinda a farting noise though. I will take a look at them Seamyst, thanks for the tip.

Sarah said...

Audi, I've been reading your blog for a few months now and am also going through your 'back catalogue' (up to Jan 2010 so far). Yesterday I had the most wonderful experience of finally putting together an outfit that I felt really proud of and well dressed in. Thank you so much for writing this amazing resource. I feel like I've been doing a home study course on how to find my style and dress with intention with you as my tutor. This is one Australian living in Dublin, Ireland who is terribly grateful to you for generously sharing your knowledge. I particularly love the posts where you describe the thought process you go through to put your outfits together. Awesome!

Tamara said...

shavalena, I have these exact shoes in red, they are awesome!

Audi, I love this outfit! It is so well coordinated, so flirty and summery, and goes so well with your playa hair... speaking of which, why are you still here? :)

La Historiadora de Moda said...

I love the soft neutrals here and how fluttery and summery the vibe of the outfit is. I echo an early comment that this outfit goes with your hair perfectly!

Clare said...

I love the muted neutrals and surprise of polka dots!

Kate said...

I came across your blog today and absolutely love it. I don't usually comment on blogs but I can't help but smile at your whooshing sandals because I have a pair of heels where one clicks and the other one whooshes. One co-worker commented that's how he knows I'm walking down the corrdior. :-)