Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Playa Hair

Okay, so the new hair isn't really radical so much as it's just very different. I had several reasons for going this route, most of them having to do with the upcoming trip to Burning Man. For one thing the desert, with its blazing sun, dry air, and ubiquitous talc-like dust, is hard on hair color, and since red is the most delicate of the colors it definitely had to go. More importantly I'll be without my hairdryer out there, and my hair without a hairdryer is about as limp and lifeless as a soggy dishrag, and about as attractive. But bleaching my hair gives it stiffness and texture, so my brilliant hairdresser Michele created this mixture of colors by bleaching big sections of hair on the top and leaving small strands of the previous color mixed throughout, and then darkening the layers underneath for contrast. Because of previous color treatments, the bleached strands have sort of an ombre effect, with the roots being very blonde and darkening to more of a caramel color on the part of the hair shaft that's already been dyed several times. This, my friends, is playa hair.

I recently decided that I absolutely love these loose, open jersey vests I've been seeing all over. So much so that I went and ordered FOUR of them. This wasn't a huge splurge, mind you; this striped vest set me back just $13.80. To me pieces like this are way too simple to spend more than about 20 bucks on. That's why, although I've seen some cute ones on Gilt and similar sites, I haven't really been tempted to buy until I found this and the others at Forever 21. None of them was more than $15.

These little vests are perfect for warmer climates, because they're lightweight and cool while still adding visual interest to an outfit. And as luck would have it, San Francisco suddenly and without warning turned into one of those climates. Last week it was cold and foggy, barely getting into the 60's in the daytime, and then BAM! NINETY degrees the last couple days.

Now people in places like Houston or Phoenix are probably going, "90 degrees, big fucking deal!" But I assure you that this is really extreme for the city. The other night I went out to meet Laura for a show (Crowded House at the Warfield) and both of us showed up hauling sweaters along, as you do. It was so warm we had both considered leaving them at home, but then of course you do that and later find yourself freezing your ass off like a tourist. And yet there we were, leaving the theater around 11 pm with those sweaters still in tow and not on our bodies. San Francisco weather, I will never fully understand you.

Vest: Forever 21
Dress: Lady Language
Boots: All Black

28 comments:

Chelsea said...

the new 'do looks awwwesome! I love the layers of colors :)

I hope you'll take pictures at burning man and post what I imagine will be AMAZING ensembles!

and this weather is awesome. though sleeping in it with no a/c is a bit difficult. but I'll take it!

Michelle said...

Crowded House! New Zealand reprazent! :-D (I grew up not far from Te Awamutu, the Finn brother's home town).

Love the new hair

Tasia said...

Coming out of lurking to say I LOVE the new hair! You look awesome!

Cara said...

That hair is fabulous! I'm so tempted to print the picture and take it to my stylist when I get my hair cut on Friday!

HollyElise said...

Oooh, I like the hair! Very, very cool!

ardenkatherine said...

Ahh! The new hair is very cool.

Kimberly said...

Oh you sexy vixen!! Love the hair!! Also, love the open front vest - can't see all the ones you stocked up with.

Eyeliah said...

Your hair looks like the playa, and the bold color suits you too. Wow I really like it!!

WendyB said...

Wow! Love it! A little bit of a Debbie Harry vibe with the dark back.

Sheila said...

Love the hair - very you, very funky and fun.

I can't get on board the drapey cardis and vests. They just don't look right on me. But on you...perfect! Stripey goodness!

Rebecca said...

My husband and I would like to go to Burning Man some day, so I'm looking forward to seeing posts about your trip. Your hair looks great.

Mikaela said...

ah, SF weather.

LOVE the hair!!!! you give me the urge to dye mine too. have a great trip!!!

Emma at Daily Clothes Fix said...

Love your hair. And glad you're finally getting some warmth. Hope it stays around for you.

notSupermum said...

Love the new 'do, very you!

Rad_in_Broolyn said...

Gorgeous new hair style! Very edgy and chic, just like you!

et said...

I like the hair too - too many people around here try it & just end up looking like they dunked part of their head in bleach. The mix of colors in yours loooks much more 'on purpose.'

Q - how do you get Michelle to cut your bangs/fringe like that? I have been unable to convince any hairdresser around here to go uneven, choppy & short in front - I usually do it myself after getting the rest cut at the salon. Maybe if I take your picture in too!

Alecia said...

thanks for the close up shot of the new do- looks fabulous. your bangs are gorgeous~~

hair envy- yes- but also- crowded house- listened to them yesterday!!!

Sharpiegirl said...

LOVE the hair cut, the color is fun too.
And you are right we Tejas folks are downright envious of your 90 degree weather. We have had 20 some odd days of 100+ weather...until yesterday when it was in the high 70's! ahhh.....heaven!
One of these days we'll make it out to Burning Man. It sounds like so much fun!

EvaNadine said...

while i DO love you as a redhead, this new color really brings out the different tones in your eyes!

Emily Kennedy said...

I adore the new hair. Totally playa, totally kick-ass. Great idea lady!

Heather said...

I love the new 'do! It looks awesome on you. Not that I didn't love your hair before but it's a really good change. :)

Audi said...

Chelsea: I'll definitely post the internet-appropriate ones! ;-)

Michelle: Yeah, Kiwi pride! I've been a HUGE fan of Neil's since way back in his Split Enz days, and I've seen every one of his various incarnations whenever he's come to town. He actually has quite a large following in SF, and we always give him a very warm welcome.

WendyB: Now THAT is a compliment indeed! Thanks!!

et: Michele doesn't need much convincing; she loves creating experimental styles for me. I think because I part my hair on the side anyway, the asymmetrical bangs make sense -- you might try explaining that to your hairdresser. Or, come to SF and I'll get you an appointment with Michele. :-)

Thanks for all the positive feedback on the hair, everyone!

jenn said...

OMG, the hair is amazzzzing!

orchidsinbuttonholes said...

I love the cut and the color is incredible! It's got such depth to it - so fun and sassy! And I love the play of stripes in your outfit. Black and white is one of my favorite combinations, but I love how you've done it here with layers and details and textures. Great look!

ReaderRita said...

LOVE the new color- though I, too, love the red on you. (but perhaps I'm biased- my own hair is red and auburn right now...)(okay, AND purple and yellow, but I digress...)
You are so very right about the body color provides! I'd look like someone painted my hair onto my scalp without it. (yuck)
Yay for your finally getting some warm weather! It's just a bummer when you don't really know what's coming- you can't plan for it. We have a bit of that here in Chicago, but generally, you've got a idea. Unless you're talking spring or fall- then all bets are off- a change of 30 degrees in 7 hours is de rigueur, and a change of 50 degrees is not unheard of, though not very frequent.
Anyway- this outfit is gorgeous, I love the play of the necklaces in the 'v' of the neckline and with stripes; and then...those tights! They are awesome. They do great things on your legs! Ultra va-va-va-voom, absolutely! Every woman needs a pair of those tights.
Thank you for the inspiration and information, as always!

Jodi said...

CUTE hair and outfit!!! My brother and sister in law are heading to Burning Man as well.. I plan to get there one year.. cant wait to see your ideas for what you will be wearing down there!!

Clare said...

Oh my gaw, I LOVE the hair. It just screams Audi Awesome.

Though I did read "playa" as "playa as in player" instead of "playa as in beach". Oh well. :)

La Historiadora de Moda said...

I love the hair! The stripey vest is awesome, too!