Monday, August 16, 2010

A Little Mod


I just realized looking at these photos that I'm sort of doing a Wonder Woman pose there in the first one. She always had her fists clenched, though -- I'll have to try that the next time.

The last time I wore this dress was last Halloween, when I went as Twiggy, and before that I'd only worn it one other time. But a dress like this needs few wearings, because each one makes a pretty strong impression. Plus, there are only so many ways to style a lemon yellow mod 60's minidress, and I don't want to run through them so fast that I have to start repeating with the same accessories. So provided my size doesn't change, I'll be wearing this dress infrequently but for many years to come.

With this outfit I worked with the blueish-gray side panels of the dress, bringing in both gray and blue accents. The tights and boots were harmonious with the mod style of the dress, while the cardigan, with its slashes along the placket, added a modern touch. With an obvious vintage piece such as this dress, it's important not to go so far as to look costumey (unless, of course, you're actually wearing it as a costume). A little mod goes a long way.


Dress: vintage
Cardigan: Cynthia Rowley
Tights: via Sock Dreams
Boots: Bronx

15 comments:

Jodi said...

CUTE!! you look very wonderwoman-ish!! its great!! you have so many awesome boots.. i cant wait to shop in San Fran to get a few more pairs!!

Rad_in_Broolyn said...

That mod dress is so amazing, and the Wonder Woman pose makes it all the better.
I had a mod style dress but I just couldn't figure out how to wear, so it went to the donation pile. You've kept it modern with still the great retro elements.

Anonymous said...

Great dress! I love the tights and boots really work. And you have fantastic arms!

Hannah

La Historiadora de Moda said...

What a fantastic dress! I love the cardi and boots with it, too!

Healthy and Homemade said...

Okay wow. That dress is too cool!

WendyB said...

We could go out as mod girls together!
http://wendybrandes.com/blog/2007/08/purple-and-silver/

janiece said...

Fab! That mod look suits you so well.

And now i know what a placket is.

Sal said...

I agree with janiece, you were made for mod!

Sheila said...

This style totally suits you - and that yellow is glorious on you!

Emily Kennedy said...

Yaaay!!! You are so cute! Love this!!!

Heather said...

Super cute!! What a great dress...and there is nothing wrong with a wonder woman stance here and there!! Thats girl power!! :D ~Heather

Clare said...

Oh, you look just specTACular in this mod dress! I feel like this isn't a color palette you wear often (do you have many things in that lemony yellow?), but it is just beautiful on you!

Chelsea said...

ooooh la la, I just love you in this style! amazing piece, and styled brilliantly. the cardigan is the perfect over layer.

Emma at Daily Clothes Fix said...

Wow, this dress is amazing. I love how you've styled it. Makes me want a mod dress too.

Diana said...

Oh how I love that dress! Yellow. Mod. Vintage. Perfect.