Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Hemmed In

This is the last you're going to see of this hair color for awhile; at the end of the day I when wore this outfit I emailed my group saying that I was leaving early and was, "off to do something radical to my hair." You'll see just how 'radical' I got tomorrow.

This dress was another hemming project that I completed last weekend. As much as I love this dress I was never quite happy with the length, and I wanted the option to layer it and add some contrast at the hem. Over the weekend I had a couple of other mending projects, which got me inspired to dig through my wardrobe and see if there was anything I could spruce up with some simple alterations. The skirt I posted yesterday was one, and this dress was another. If you look closely you can see that I hemmed the dress using a contrasting thread (navy blue) in a heavy, decorative stitch. This made the hem look a little more interesting, with the added benefit that the heavy stitch hid any little mistakes in the sewing. Keeping a perfectly straight sewn line, especially on a stretchy fabric like this one, is not one of my strengths.

Dress, belt: Red Dress Shoppe 
Tulle skirt: Noa Noa
Shoes: John Fluevog


13 comments:

Kelly said...

I really love this outfit! It has so many things I love. Bow-ish detail, contrasting hem sitch, crinoline poking out, double-buckle belt...Love!

Can't wait to see what happened with your hair!

Sadie's Momma said...

I'm on the edge of my seat, waiting to see your hair. But most of all, I am in LOVE with this look. The dress is amazing- the contrasting hem is my favorite idea, ever. And I LOVE your tights! So rock star. :)

<3 Kim

Franca said...

I adore the dress, and can't want to see your hair!

notSupermum said...

Love the tights...can't wait to see the new 'do. When you say radical, I know you mean it.

Emily Kennedy said...

Excellent mod to the dress! It's like night and day the difference between the older version and this. Especially adorable with the tights.

Sal said...

Oh, to have hemming skills. Love the contrast thread - such a great idea.

lsaspacey said...

Hey, where did you get those tights?!

Eyeliah said...

Oh radical? You know I’m excited now!

Tessa said...

I love the tulle peeking out, and that you changed your hem to accommodate that! When I'm lazy I tend to tuck the excess length up into a belt like the one you're wearing, or ruch and pin the skirt asymmetrically at the hip :P

Emma at Daily Clothes Fix said...

Love the new length and that's a great trick for avoiding slip hemming.

So desperate to see your new hair.

Sheila said...

Wow, that looks great! I was already a fan of this dress, and now even moreso.

Audi said...

Isaspacey: Actually they aren't tights, but OTK socks from a local import shop.

Tessa: Hmmm, I'm intrigued by the ruching and pinning approach! I'll have to try that sometime.

Chelsea said...

that dress is gorgeous! the hemming allows you so many more options for skirt layering underneath :) and the contrasting thread was a brilliant idea.