Thursday, August 19, 2010

Getting Away With it

Yeah, leather pants in August; it really is cold here. I think today it might have hit the high 60's, but unfortunately I was stuck inside for all but 5 minutes of the day and couldn't enjoy it. At any rate, I had a great excuse to pull out these seldom-worn leather pants and layer up a sweet-but-tough look.

This "dress" is scandalously short to be worn as such, but it makes the perfect means by which to soften the impact of the leather pants. These pants are nicely fitted and really show off my bum to its fullest potential, but for work I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with displaying much more than just my leather-clad legs in these babies. For a night out yes, but not at the office. But here I've used the longer length of the dress, combined with the interesting blend of colors and layers, to make the top half of the outfit the focal point. The pants become part of the background over which to highlight the pretty details in the dress and cardigan.

By combining these pieces I was able to use two items that otherwise I'd never feel comfortable wearing to work: the tight-fitting leather pants and the super-short dress. I just love feeling like I got away with something.

Cardigan: Anthropologie
Dress: Anthropologie
Pants: Firetrap
Boots: All Black

16 comments:

LPC said...

'I just love feeling like I got away with something.' Doesn't that kind of describe your style over all? Smile emoticon here:).

Sewing Pixie said...

I adore your outfit, especially the cardigan. I love that the snake peeps out, too, like he's hiding in a tree full of flowers (the flowers on the cardigan)

Audi said...

LPC: Haha -- I was wondering if anyone would call me out on that comment! You're absolutely right, of course.

Tamara said...

I absolutely LOVE this outfit -- every single garment separately, and also how it looks all together. I know you get this kind of comment a lot, but I just couldn't hold back my delight :)

shams said...

It's been so friggin' cold! If you never leave SF, it's hard to believe it's warm anywhere else. I just took out my garbage can (the lid was ripped off years ago by the garbage folks) and it was sloshing around - this is from fog condensation alone!

I really like this outfit. The colors of the dress as they peep out below the cardi really pull it together.

Emma at Daily Clothes Fix said...

I love the tonal colour range and good for you for sneaking in some work inappropriate items.

notSupermum said...

That's a gorgeous outfit, you look stunning. x

The Writing Instinct said...

Audi, you are wearing leather pants and studded boots, and as terrific as you *always* look, I have never seen you look more feminine. The hues and textures of this outfit surprisingly compliment each other and you as look beautiful as ever.

Mervat
xo

ayan said...

Is there a full photo of the dress somewhere on your blog? I'd love a closer look. Also, outfit rocks!

Sal said...

Geez Louise! Leather pants would make me so miserable right now. Totally love how you've styled them, with lots of ladylike touches ... AND ass-kicking boots.

Audi said...

Ayan: Here's a post that has a better view of the dress: http://geekthreads.blogspot.com/2010/05/anthro.html

Healthy and Homemade said...

I seriously love that you combined hot leather pants with soft cottons and light neutrals. You're a genius!!

ReaderRita said...

Leather pants and boots, yet so unbelievably ethereal. Just gorgeous. Great combo.
I'm sorry it's been so frigid a summer in SF.
And the republicans say global warming isn't real...("it's COLD in SF, that's not 'global warming'")
Sheesh.

Sheila said...

Killer, just killer. Yes, I love that feeling (heh, I fooled you all!) - I get it whenever I wear my leather dress to work.

Clare said...

I love the combination of sweet and hardcore here. And holy crap, leather in August?? I'm insanely jealous. I'm yearning for layers and denim and leather and tights.

Also, is the snake tattoo new, or have I just been missing it? (I guess I could scan old posts to check, but this is easier!) :)

orchidsinbuttonholes said...

I love those leather trousers! Such a cool vibe, especially paired with that amazing dress. I love how the hemline looks even more interesting just peeping out from the cardigan. Love this look, Audi!