Thursday, July 29, 2010

Stolen

I'll just come right out and admit straight away that I completely stole this Tealive™ combination from Kasmira. The layering of these two skirts was also stolen, from a couple of my own past outfits; only this time I did the layering in reverse. This really illustrates just how versatile these soft jersey skirts can be.

First let me explain the skirts: the teal one is mid-calf length and has a wide, jersey waistband. The gray skirt is knee length and has an extra-wide jersey waistband that folds over on itself. In past configurations, I've unfolded the waistband of the gray skirt and hiked it all the way up to wear it as an above-the-knee dress, sometimes layering the teal skirt underneath to add contrast, shape, and length. Here I did just the opposite: I hiked the teal skirt all the way up and wore the gray one as it was designed. I included a few photos at the bottom of the post showing both skirts separately and together so you can compare the different configurations.

Now if I just wore the two skirts together without something on top, two things would happen; the teal skirt would look like a giant tent on me, and it would also not stay in place on its own. Hence, the jacket and belt serve two important functions, to hold everything in place and to give the outfit shape. But also, the olive jacket and teal skirt combination was the kernel of my original idea, because together they make Tealive™.

Jacket, belt: thrifted
Necklace, pearl ring: Manu Lizarralde
Teal Skirt: LA. Made
Gray skirt: S
Boots: All Black

Here are some past outfits that make use of these two skirts in different ways. Do you have any items that you wear differently then the way they were designed?

13 comments:

WendyB said...

I do covet that jacket.

Diana said...

I'd never thought to combine teal and olive before. I love it!

Rebecca said...

Teal and olive is a great color combination.

Clare said...

Wow, that "tealive" looks so phenomenal. Must try! And I'm with WendyB...I covet that jacket, too!

Sheila said...

Brava! You look great! I am alway envious of military style jackets...sigh...they are not for the boobular.

Lesa said...

Love the army green jacket. Can't believe it was thrifted!

Franca said...

Tealive, love it! you are the best ever at layering!

Sal said...

All of my jersey skirts are floor-length ... I'll have to search around for some shorter ones!

Sara said...

I love the amazing details throughout this look. The saturated blue is the perfect touch with that gorgeous blazer and the grey, and I love those tights. One of my favorite looks of yours - though I have many!

Natasha the whimsical nerd said...

That teal skirt is amazingly versatile. Well done on the skirt layering.

Tessa said...

I love how you pulled this off! I do this all the time & it's thrilling to run across like-minded stylists. I actually recently posted about wearing a shirt as a scarf and skirt (http://rethinkingstyle.com/restyle-it-silk-button-up-shirt/) and about how two shirt & a skirt can make five different outfits! If that strikes your fancy, feel free to take a look.

This is my first time at your blog but I can already tell it won't be the last.

Keep inspiring!

Kasmira said...

I wouldn't want you to be a thief, so I GIVE you Tealive! You look great in it!

La Historiadora de Moda said...

I love the jacket, and you are a master of skirt layering!