Monday, July 26, 2010

Creepy Legs

My legs look sort of creepy here, but I assure you that if you look more closely you'll see that I have on nude fishnets. They simply do not translate well into a small digital photo. I didn't think it was possible for my legs to look paler than they actually are, but apparently I was mistaken. 

Don't get me wrong though; I wear my cadaverous complexion with pride, because avoiding the sun is probably the number one reason that my skin still looks pretty darn good at 40 (that and not smoking). I take great care to wear sunscreen on my face every day, and on sunny days I can frequently be seen hiding beneath a parasol. 

As for my ashen legs, there's really no way they're going to get any color anyway because it's so rare that they see the light of day. But I've found when I do want to go completely bare-legged that some mineral foundation mixed with regular body lotion does a great job at giving me a healthier glow, as well as minimizing spider veins and scars and such. Or, I just slap on some nude fishnets and forget about it.

Top: F21
Dress: Lady Language
Harness: Audra Jean
Skirt: S
Shoes: Sofft

14 comments:

Emma at Daily Clothes Fix said...

Great look. I think us pale girls need to resist the pressure to look bronzed. When I was in Sri Lanka, all the men at the hotel were worried I would tan and lose my "beautiful pale skin". The difference that culture makes.

yatima said...

I have those exact shoes! They're awesome!

paisleyapron said...

Aaah--but where does one buy said nude fishnets? Our local librarian was wearing a pair and, although I admired them from afar, I was too chicken to ask her where she got them.

Cara said...

Sheesh! I'll stay out of the sun if it means looking as good as you do!

Sheila said...

a. Your legs look fine, stop going on about them.
b. Yay for nude fishnets! I love 'em.
c. You look awesome in this outfit, like you sneakily have a gun in the small of your back and are going to leap out the window and chase after some bad guys.

Sal said...

Yay harness!

And I generally would join you in Pale Pride, but all my biking has unexpectedly browned me. Of course, it's done so in comical ways ... weird shoe-shaped tan-lines and such.

Alli said...

I really admire how you so effortlessly combine separate pieces to create a complete outfit. If I hadn't been reading your blog for a while, or if you hadn't listed the pieces separately, I'm not sure I would have even noticed that the shirt, skirt, and dress were separate pieces. Great look!

tinyjunco said...

hi paisleyapron! www.sockdreams.com has a nice variety. many department stores have different color fishnets these days, as do legwear specialty stores. i even got some at TJ MAxx once under the Donna Karan label, so just keep your eyes open!

Alicia said...

40?? Shut up! Looking awesome! Love your wardrobe!

lsaspacey said...

I've purchased a slightly darker version (well, nude for me) at Target also.

orchidsinbuttonholes said...

I love that you have parasol love. I appreciate the shade more and more every day!

And I'm so itching for a harness belt! I love it with this look - it's the perfect touch. Brilliant way to layer, too.

Rad_in_Broolyn said...

Love the perfect layering and the harness. What a beautiful outfit.
As for the pale leg sensitivity, I grew up with a mom who bemoaned my "dark" skin (I take after my father). But I learned to like myself anyway. You look great, and you've lovely legs- very non-creepy!

Audi said...

paisleyapron: I got these via Sock Dreams (www.sockdreams.com), but they aren't quite as comfy as I'd like; they're a bit heavy in texture. I'm glad to see the suggestions from tinyjunco and Isaspacey!

Sheila: Well, of course! I'm not only a scientist, but I also fight crime!

s. said...

Thanks for promoting Pale Pride. We've come a long way in celebrating the beauty of really dark women like Alek Wek and it's heartening to see more and more feting of super pale princesses, as well. Thanks for being part of the solution!