Thursday, June 24, 2010

Key to Success



This was such a comfy outfit, with the soft, stretchy layers and elastic belt. Even my finicky feet were comfortable in the boots, and by wearing thigh high socks instead of tights, I kept my torso from being too warm.

I've realized that thigh high socks are a key to success in dressing for San Francisco summers. When it's too cool for totally bare legs, but too warm for tights, a pair of thigh highs can take the chill off while allowing your upper legs to enjoy the summer breezes under the protection of a skirt or dress. With this outfit I rolled the socks down like the flappers used to do in the 20's, which served 2 purposes: it made the outfit look a bit more summery, and it showed off a little bit of my memento mori tattoo. Plus I thought it just looked cute and sassy. The socks stay up pretty well on their own, but the tall boots helped a little too.

Tune in tomorrow, when Jess makes her long-awaited return!

Shirt: All Saints
Tunic: Anthropologie
Scarf: Duke et Duchesse
Skirt: S
Socks: Sock Dreams
Boots: Bronx

13 comments:

Poppy Buxom said...

I love this outfit--and I envy you your cool San Francisco summers!

Carolina on My Mind said...

It was 100 degrees here in DC today -- would you consider taking in a boarder?!

I've been reading your blog and admiring your style for several months now, but this is the first time I've commented. I love this outfit, and I think your blog is a perfect mix of style posts and posts on other interesting topics (travel, politics, etc.). I look forward to reading it every day. Thanks for the inspiration.

Also, I hope you'll treat your readers to another closet tour once you're fully settled in the new place!

WendyB said...

I love memento mori!

Rad_in_Broolyn said...

I love the different greys in this outfit. Great boots too.
I am inspired to get some longer summer socks as well, although staying warm is not a concern here!

Sal said...

I can't imagine so many layers this time of year. You'd better pack some sundresses next week, lady!

tinyjunco said...

thi-his, over the knees, and stockings with garters or a garter belt are perfect around here. they've been staples of mine for years. i can't tolerate waist-to-toe tights, so i cut off the legs and roll 'em down. even fishnets. provided they have some stretch, they stay up well.

and if they do need some re-rolling, i imagine our Audi could work it with panache ; ) steph

Kelly said...

haha I'm with Sal, the idea of this being a "summer" outfit blows my mind!

I do really like this outfit though, and specifically I like that you are wearing high socks without looking "Lolita" - I think high socks are cute but I haven't worn them out in public just because I haven't seen too many examples of people wearing them *without* channeling a Lolita sort of look. So I'm happy to see an example of an outfit that looks so good/non-cutesy with high socks!

Cynthia said...

You know, I saw that tank at Anthro, thought, ZOMG, how weird, how would you even wear that. Trust you to find something amazing to do with it!

If you're feeling up to a reader request at some point, how about an entry on where to shop (or where to thrift) in San Francisco? I am coming out there in August and would love some insider tips on where coolness lives. Or if you've got one already and I just haven't seen it, a link would be lovely.

SHAMPALOVE said...

really nice outfit !!! I also buy @all saints !!!

Sheila said...

I love all the layers and pale colours mixed with dark. Such a great outfit.

Cherish @ My Cup of Tea said...

I love the colors and layers. Oh love it love it love it.

Chelsea said...

I've been thinking about this post for days and itching to pull out my thigh high socks again. You're right... perfect for those in between SF summer days when tights sound just too constricting and warm, and bare legs sound too chilly.

Sarah said...

If this outfit is suitable for your summer weather, I am moving to San Francisco IMMEDIATELY.