Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Dreary Day

I apologize for the lighting here; this was a VERY dreary day and I neglected to adjust the aperture setting to compensate. I'm still getting used to the height of our ceilings in the new place; they're high enough that the bounced flash is much less intense, so I need to change the camera settings much more than I needed to in my old place.

I recently placed quite a large order with All Saints, so you'll see lots of new things cropping up. The first of the batch is this Lindy Cardigan, and it has the complete laundry list of qualities I love: asymmetry, interesting details, great quality, and it's lightweight but warm, which means that I can wear it most of the year in SF. It is actually quite thin and semi-sheer, though it's tough to tell in these dark photos. Next time I'll do a better job at making its transparency show.

Speaking of All Saints, the US online store has made some improvements since I first posted about it last October. They've finally added a Vintage section, and it seems like the prices are starting to be more comparable with the UK ones, although when I placed this order the UK site was having a 25% off sale. You do have to keep in mind that if you live in the US, you will be charged customs fees on UK orders; however, the VAT that's added into the cost of each garment will be subtracted when you check out. For the time being I'd still recommend checking both sites when you're contemplating a purchase and making a careful comparison in cost. Also, I believe the US site has their clothes listed in UK size equivalents (i.e., a size 10 listed on the site is actually a US 6), so be careful with the sizing! I'd be curious to hear if anyone has ordered via the US site, and what your experience has been.

Cardigan: All Saints
Tank top: Rapsodia (Argentina)
Skirt: Noa Noa
Socks: Sock Dreams
Shoes: John Fluevog


The gloomy view from our front windows last Friday; City Hall is almost completely obscured by fog.

15 comments:

Una said...

Before even seeing your post (another lovely outfit, BTW), I just posted to Facebook that I think Allsaints has direct access to my head. I've found so many things there I want! The US site has free shipping, at least right now. The trouble is nothing is less than $100, and very little under $150, which adds up fast, and the quality doesn't seem on a par with the expense. But the designs are so interesting and appealing to me, I may just succumb...

Jean said...

The weather may have been dreary, but certainly not the outfit.
Noa Noa skirt +
in THAT color, style
= Perfection.

Rebecca said...

Gloomy or not, your view is lovely.

WendyB said...

i think the lighting in the photos looks great...not dreary at all.

Sheila said...

I went to the All Saints store in Camden Market in London - it was in a giant metal structure, like an upright rusty oil drum, and it was like a dark old warehouse inside. They had the coolest t-shirts, but it was VERY expensive. L and I browsed in there extensively.

This is a really pretty outfit - I like the mix of textures, particularly the necklaces.

orchidsinbuttonholes said...

The All Saints shop just opened in Soho (New York's Soho), and it's a gorgeous store. The walls are lined with vintage sewing machines, which is quite dramatic. So dramatic, actually, that I had a hard time focusing on the clothing! But I'll have to go back as there are so many pieces I love, having looked (undistracted) at their website.

Your outfit is gorgeous. I love that asymmetric cardigan and the burgundy draping of the skirt. Such interesting layers, Audi. I love that!

Your view is fantastic, by the way, fog or no fog.

Sal said...

I'm so glad orchidsinbuttonholes posted her comment, because I read somewhere that All Saints was hitting the States soon!

This ensemble is just marvelous, colors, proportions, asymmetry and all.

Alex said...

I totally agree with Jean, the burgundy tulle is amazing.

I commented many months ago asking about shopping online because I was thinking about purchasing something from All Saints--I decided it was out of my range at the time, but last week on a whim I decided to check the site again, and lo and behold, the US site is actually shoppable now! (Also, free shipping!) So I ordered that dress I had been eyeing for months and months and it arrived yesterday, fits wonderfully, and I love it. I'll have to visit the New York store once I save up some more cash. So thank you for the heads-up on this brand, I love basically everything they make.

Fawn said...

I LURVE All Saints, but it's so $$. But I just checked the US site and discovered that the sweater I've been longing for comes in 5 colors, the one I like best of which is on sale! So perhaps I'll treat myself. With the money I'm not spending on my upcoming travels.

Una said...

Audi, a question for you - how "true to size" do the Allsaints clothes run in your opinion? The item I ordered seemed a bit small for the size... How does their sizing compare to say, the Gap, which I think runs large, or other brands you wear? Thanks for any insight before I place an order!

Audi said...

Una: I find them true to size; normally I wear a size 6 and the UK 10, which is what All Saints lists as the size equivalent, fits me just right. For really fitted, non-stretchy fabrics you might want to go one size up though, because those items do fit on the snug side.

irishrosedkm said...

This is 100% off topic...but what hotel/hotels would you stay at in Copenhagen?

Healthy and Homemade said...

Yuck, this is what our weather has looked like in SD lately too. Weird part is? It's gorgeous and sunny today and I haven't been outside yet, and it's 5 pm. Um why? I'm lazy, simple as that.

Audi said...

irishrosedkm: I generally stay in hostels when I travel, especially in expensive cities like Copenhagen. I've stayed at Danhostel there but would not recommend it; the rooms are very uncomfortable, elevators are too small for the number of guests the hostel holds, and the service is painfully slow. The hostel selection seems to be limited in Copenhagen, especially right in the center of town. I'd recommend renting a bike and staying at one of the hostels or boutique hotels that's in a more residential area, since those seem to be nicer and a better value (though not having stayed at any, I can't recommend a specific place). It's very easy to get around in Copenhagen by bike, so being a mile or two from the city center would not be a problem.

tinyjunco said...

nice to see a comment from our hostess, Audi! can't help but worry (as the spawn of an obsessive-compulsive mother) at such a span between posts from our intrepid blogger. good to hear you're still here!

back to vacuuming, steph