Monday, May 24, 2010

Anthro

Last week I stopped into Anthropologie during a break from the conference I was attending downtown. Normally a visit to Anthro entails me wandering around looking at lots of things, with my thoughts running along the lines of, "Wow, that's cute, but it isn't 250 dollars' worth of cute. Oh, I like that, but not for $189. Hmm, a t-shirt with ruffles sewn on it for $80? I don't think so." Most of the time I leave empty-handed and annoyed, but boredom combined with rainy weather drove me in to take a look anyway. Making a beeline for the large sale section, I found several things marked down to well within the realm of reason; this tunic and skirt were among them and the rest you'll see over the next few days.

I'm excited about the layering potential of this tunic; the mixture of colors can go towards a pale, warm weather look or a dark, contrasty one for colder months. The exposed seams give it the right amount of uniqueness that will pair well with edgier items in my wardrobe. The skirt is a semi-sheer pale pink, which I'm looking forward to trying out with the new stuff I just got from Black Market Baby.

For this outfit I let the tunic do all the work in terms of shaping, and left out a belt. After the discomfort of the previous day's outfit, this was a really wonderful follow-up, the swingy layers having just the right amount of softness and stretch.

I also got a haircut last week -- it's just a shorter version of the last one.

Tunic, skirt: Anthropologie
Ruffled shirt: H&M
Cardigan: thrifted
Tights: Noa Noa
Boots: Bronx
Jewelry: Betsey Johnson

14 comments:

Sara said...

Oh no. I am developing a small obsession with Anthro (which is out of my price range) and I am trying to avoid temptation and here you are with an Anthro post! Is that the Alena skirt? I just ordered it, inspired by your skirt-layering with your pink tulle piece!

I truly love the way you style things, Audi! You have such an artistic eye.

WendyB said...

My reading comprehension is shot. For a moment, I thought you had purchased a baby on the black market. I was like, "Bad, Audi! Bad!"

Fawn said...

"That's cute, but not $250 worth of cute" is my inner monologue in Anthropologie, too. I haven't had any luck with the sale rack, but maybe some day!

Work With What You've Got said...

Such pretty layering! I love the colors.

Franca said...

I love it, and i'm not usually so into neutrals! Also, is your hair different?

Sal said...

I feel the same way about Anthro. So much cute stuff, so ridiculously overpriced. But, as this tunic proves, the sale racks can be fruitful!

Emily Kennedy said...

I have the exact same experience when I go to Anthro. The only good finds are on the sale racks, and this was indeed a good find!

La Historiadora de Moda said...

I also have the same reaction to Anthro. Their stuff is cute, but it is incredibly overpriced unless it's on the sale rack and their garments also seems to be increasingly cheaply made.

The layering here is fantastic!

Someone said...

That is a pretty neat dress.

Remember when Anthro and Free People were just brands one saw at Urban Outfitters? I thought their stuff was sometimes overpriced -then-, but it seems like it was about 20% what their prices are now. Maybe I'm just being curmudgeonly. :)

Erin said...

This outfit is gorgeous! I'm a big fan of (well-sewn) exposed seams. And this outfit DOES look extremely comfy, the kind of comfy that makes you feel like you're secretly getting away with wearing pajamas in public, yet looking stylish!

Chelsea said...

Yes, Anthro is outrageous, but ooooooh the downtown location's sale area is HUGE! Love this look you've created :)

ReaderRita said...

I feel the same way about Anthropologie-too much cabbage!
But I am still kicking myself for not buying an olive green silk ruffly necked dress that was on their sale rack...
Oh, the tragedy of thinking something "wasn't me", and not having had the time to try it on. Now I am haunted by what could have been...
Preconceptions are nasty, even when they're about yourself!

Eyeliah said...

The skirt I especially love, I have dreams of visiting that store one day…..

Audi said...

Sara: Yep, it's the Alena skirt! It fits great and is really comfy.

WendyB: HAHAHA! Your reading comprehension MUST Be shot; I don't even want a baby for free, let alone paying good money for one!

Someone: No, I don't think you're curmudgeonly; the prices have definitely been jacked up as Anthro has gained in popularity. I feel the same way about J. Crew.