Friday, April 9, 2010

Homburg


I made myself a hat a few weeks ago, which for some reason I haven't done very much of. This Homburg style was calling to me though, because it has a bit of a sinister Clockwork Orange look to it, as well as being reminiscent of the fabulous Homburgs that the late Alexander McQueen came out with last year (below, left and center). With this outfit I was also inspired by Christian Dior's wonderful equestrian looks in the SS10 line (below right).





















I created this hat as an alternative to bowlers and top hats, which seem to be EVERYWHERE in steampunk and Edwardian fashion right now. And then, the ubiquitous stingy-brimmed hipster fedoras have put me off fedoras altogether lately. So I made this. I love how it looks tilted at a severe angle, almost dipping over one eye.


Hat: Audra Jean
Dress: Noa Noa
Blazer: Gap, a gift from Sal
Waistcoat: Last Kiss
Skirt: Noa Noa
Boots: Frye



Oops... almost forgot to add this last detail shot!

11 comments:

A-C said...

I LOVE this dress! (I feel like I've said that every time you've worn it) And with the jacket is gorgeous!

Lemondrop Marie said...

Fabulous recreation. LOVE the homburge and the plaid with the gorgeous ladylike dress. Please come coordinate my closet.

Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
Spring Shabby Apple Dress giveaway

Vanessa said...

I love your dress! It's gorgeous!

Dianna said...

The entire outfit is fantastic, but that hat--that's out-of-this-world fantastic!

Sister Wolf said...

Very cute and steampunkish!

becca said...

The hat is incredible. I also love the skirt peeking out from under the dress.

FashionTheorist said...

I adore the hat! It's a refreshing change from, yes, the ubiquity of top hats (especially minis, for women) and bowlers in steampunk looks - especially in that super-sharp blue!

Sheila said...

That is one gorgeous hat - I love that you made it in cobalt blue rather than standard black.

Don't you hate it when something's "in fashion" that previously had been "your" thing? For some reason that bugs me.

Jane W. said...

I'm so happy that you make hats! It makes me glad to see a traditional craft/art form thrive.

angie said...

I just love you in this shade of cobalt blue, Audi. It's simply dazzling against your skin tone.

And as always, you look fab!

WendyB said...

That hat is sassy!