Wednesday, April 28, 2010

17 Addresses

What's this, the same shoes two days in a row?? Well, as you may have guessed, my apartment is quickly migrating into boxes, and as it does my selection of shoes, as well as clothes, dishes, reading material, and everything else, is dwindling. Pretty soon I'll be living on a capsule wardrobe, but thankfully it's only for a few more days.

So far I haven't packed too many things that I've had to dig back out again, but then again I ought to be a pro at this sort of thing by now. I realized recently that this apartment is the longest I've ever lived anywhere in my entire life. I've had 17 different addresses, and 12 of those have been since I moved out of my parents' house when I was 18. That's a lot of moving, which probably explains my propensity for being really ruthless when I decide to start getting rid of things. I sort of miss the old days when everything I owned fit into my little Toyota Tercel. Now I doubt I could even get my shoe collection in there.

This was very much a trial and error sort of outfit. I hit on the combination of the strapless top and military jacket right away, but it took me awhile to figure out the bottom half. In the end it came down to the skirt length, because any shorter than this looked really out of proportion. I think this is the first time I've worn this jacket buttoned. With many outfits I think it looks better open, but here the closure of the jacket coincided precisely with the black band under the bodice of the top, so buttoning it just made sense.

Jacket: F21
Top: Mica
Necklace: Manu Lizarralde
Skirt, tights: Noa Noa
Shoes: John Fluevog

10 comments:

FashionTheorist said...

I love how the tiny bits of burgundy in the top tie it together with the skirt. Plus, any combination of military style and tulle is ace in my book.

I'm always impressed by the wonderful ways you combine garments. Is having a portion of your wardrobe packed inspiring you to explore new combinations you might not have considered otherwise? Or did you pack strategically, leaving known successful outfits accessible?

Sheila said...

How I love that jacket! It looks great done up.

I loathe moving - I have only moved 5 times in my whole life (and 4 of those since I left my parents' place), and always in the same city. This explains why I have 9 huge bookcases...

Good luck with your packing!

Audi said...

Fashion Theorist: Oh, I doubt there was any strategy at all in my packing; I'm more of an instinct packer, both in the moving sense and the travel sense. I 'feel' what I'll need more than I think it through. So far it has worked out fine, because the stuff that is out of sight is truly out of mind.

Sheila: Wow, I'm a bit envious of your stability when it comes to addresses. But then again, I guess I'm accustomed to starting fresh every so often; maybe I would get cabin fever if I stuck around a place too long!

Alex said...

Great outfit! I love the burgundy combination with the yellows and greens!

I have also moved a lot. Your post inspired me to count my addresses through life and I have had 18!! 4 of which were in different countries...I'm not sure I enjoy moving but I know what you mena about a fresh start...every so often I get the "itch"!

The Small Fabric Of My Life said...

Love the outfit. Sometimes a lack of choice concentrates the mind. Good Luck with the move.
If you are interested I have a super Seville giveaway on my blog this week.

Stacy said...

I totally get this post! I'm 40 and have had 15 addresses. When it comes to purging stuff from my house, "ruthless" is exactly the word I use as well. Being surrounded by too much useless stuff just makes me feel claustrophobic. And by now I've gotten to be very realistic about keeping things around "just in case" I want to wear/use them in the future. I know myself well enough to know when that's just not going to happen, and out that stuff goes!

Someone said...

Modern mobility is fascinating isn't it?

I'm 46 and am now preparing for my 24th address - at least. (Could be 25th or 26th if I counted wrong.) To think that I spent about 12 years in the longest stay (age 2-age 13) and 5 in the next longest...that is a heck of a lot of moving around. No wonder I dread packing, yet am good at it at the same time. Sigh.

This time the husbeast and I are purging more than we ever have, and I am looking forward to an organized, airy, elegant next home that is easy to keep that way!

La Historiadora de Moda said...

I am in love with the pairing of that top and jacket!

I've moved quite a few times myself. I've moved 16 times in the past 12 years (since I was 18), and we will be moving again this summer. Argh!

The Writing Instinct said...

Audi, I came over from my google-reader thinking you were blogging about 17 *dresses* and I thought I just had to see your collection(Freudian analysis: last week my daughter and I watched 27 dresses!). So, if you should ever post about your gorgeous dresses (be they 17 or otherwise) I would be the first one here!

Mervat
xo

P.S. Love the jacket!

Chelsea said...

you are right... fastening the jacket totally works with the awesome proportions you've got going on here. i love how you always throw some pattern into the mix... I've noticed lately that I feel the most "wow" about my ensembles when they have at least one pattern... definitely as a result of your influence! woohoo!

ahhhh moving. I'm a mover too... moved 13 times with my mom before graduating high school (including straight across the country!), and 5 times in the 5 years I've lived in the Bay Area! yet... it always stresses me out and never seems to get easier. I can imagine that leaving the place you've lived the longest would bring up a lot of different emotions, including of course excitement for the new place and the new joy of sharing space with your partner... but also some sadness!