Friday, March 19, 2010

Verklemt

Did I tell you I've been appropriating outfit ideas from other bloggers lately, or what? Here's another one I lifted from Sal after I saw her rocking a cute 90's look. The girly dress/chunky shoes combo was one I loved in the 90's, and still do, partly because it's a unique way to mix feminine and masculine elements, and partly because it's one of the predominant looks in Amélie, and I am deeply convinced that Amélie is the greatest movie of all time. Just thinking about that movie makes me all verklemt, in a happy way.

There's a lot of black going on in this outfit, but if you look closely you'll see that the vest is actually charcoal gray with a subtle plaid pattern in it. The vest is part of my convertible flight suit; a closer photo and different configurations of this piece are shown in this post.

Happy weekend! I'm off to enjoy the sun before it goes away again!

Vest (flight suit): Shawna Hoffman
T-shirt: H&M
Floral dress: vintage 90's; altered from a romper Skirt: a hand-me-up from my sister
Boots: Dr. Marten's

7 comments:

Emily Kennedy said...

Yay! I love that you've been feeling the inspiration from fellow bloggers lately. And yeah, Amelie is a most excellent movie. For sure! Super cute outfit as a result of all that love you're feeling.

WendyB said...

Love that vest!

Anonymous said...

OK now, I have to ask:
What is 'verklemt'?

Shazz

Diana said...

This outfit is fantastic! I love how you mixed the soft girly florals with a flight jacket vest.

Gina said...

Amelie is one of those movies that I can pop into the DVD player, watch a few minutes, and feel completely transformed. Audrey Tatou's face is magical.

I want to thank you for opening me up to the world of prints, as well as the world of layering. I'm not as brave and bold as you, but you've inspired me.

Sal said...

I like your take WAY better than mine! And completely agree about Amélie, it's in my top five of all time.

Audi said...

Shazz: Verklemt is a Yiddish word meaning "choked with emotion." Mike Myers used to use that word a lot in the 'Coffee Talk' sketches he did on Saturday Night Live in the 90's, so it's another 90's reference.