Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A Thrift-able Trend



A couple of weekends ago I snuck off to Oregon for a few days to visit my family. It was our belated Christmas celebration, since I was in Mexico for the holidays. I love celebrating Christmas on our own schedule; to me it feels so much more relaxed and stress-free.

While I was there we not only did our gift-exchanging, but my mom and I also did a good deal of thrift shopping, which was so fruitful for me that I had to have my family ship some of my haul home to me, since it wouldn't all fit in my tiny suitcase. This adorable jacket was among my thrift finds, and since khaki and other military-styled clothing is big this season, I was especially thrilled when I spotted it. Since military styles have come and gone many times over the years, this is my top pick for an easily thrift-able trend this season.

I paired the jacket with this dusty purple ruffled skirt, which was a Christmas gift from my mom (mom has great taste, no?). In order to give the skirt a little more length, I layered it over my tulle-embellished slip/skirt. Adding a little bad-assery are my brand new Clinic boots, which I snagged via Solestruck's notification service. More Clinics are coming to Solestruck -- you can preorder them here.

Hat: Accessorize/Monsoon
Tie-dyed tank top: Rapsodia
Jacket, belt: thrifted
Purple skirt: Urban Outfitters
Slip-skirt: Glam Garb by Gunlis
Shoes: Jeffrey Campbell

13 comments:

Lemondrop Marie said...

I love the military trend too- so great to mix it up, looks fab with the ruffles! Great gift.
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

Rebecca said...

I'm definitely going to get my eyes open for a military jacket! Don't know if I can carry off the ruffled skirt - but it's GREAT on you...Maybe I can think of something equally feminine for contrast. Hmmmmmm.

Jane W. said...

That skirt is wonderful! Love the Christmas in February idea, too. A good way to take the edge off the winter mehs.

Sara Lynn said...

omg my fave so far!! Purple skirt + awesome boots and cool jacket?! I love!! :D

I am glad someone out there know who Rick Astley is :P

Honeybunches of Roses said...

I'm in love with your slip--ok, your skirt too, but the slip is exactly what I have been looking for.

The Closet of Kim (ShopKim) said...

Excellent find on the jacket! I love how this all works together.

Sal said...

Can't wait to see the other thrift finds. And those Clinics are beyond fabulous.

scicurious said...

I am SO PROUD to realize that I'm dressed almost like you today (different boots and skirt, but still the jacket, skirt, boots combo). My outfit is therefore awesome!!!

Audi said...

Rebecca: If ruffles are too much for you, you could try a pencil skirt, some sexy heels, or perhaps a bit of lace peeking out at the neckline -- there are plenty of other feminine touches you could add for contrasting against a military piece. Even just adding a sparkly brooch or pretty earrings might do the trick. I love this trend because it's so versatile that anyone can wear it.

scicurious: Great minds...

Lauren said...

I'm not sure I have words to express my feelings about those shoes (but rest assured, they are all positive!).

The skirt too also deserves recognition - it is quite an unusual shade of purple and I love the combination with the khaki - and the combo of feminine with androgenous military. Lovely!

Anonymous said...

This is maybe my favourite outfit you've ever put together. Which says quite a bit.

Sheila said...

I just can't do the military jackets. I keep trying them on, but the flaps and pockets in the boobular region mean "whoa, BOOBS" on me.

What is your little button?

I love that purple skirt worn with the teal underneath - what a nice mum!

Audi said...

Sheila: The pin is a little skull with scissors for crossbones; there's a close-up of it here: http://geekthreads.blogspot.com/2009/01/guest-blogger.html