Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Patchwork



This outfit isn't a super exciting one; it was a comfortable, casual look that I threw together in the morning when I was running around trying to get everything together for meeting with my tax guy. But I wanted to show it to you because it features this beautiful suede jacket that I found while out thrifting with my mom in Oregon last month. This jacket is a perfect illustration of patchwork done really well; the patches have subtle variations in texture and color, giving the jacket depth without making it look like it was just thrown together from a bunch of scraps. It also looks like it has never been worn, which is unusual for a suede piece found in a thrift store.

The other thing I did with this outfit was to throw in the scarf for a splash of unexpected color. This is one of the easiest ways to jazz up a casual outfit -- anyone could see that pairing the purple top with brown pants and purple boots would work, but adding the green scarf is a bit more adventurous and interesting.

Scarf: Rhapsodia
Top: Just Angels
Cords: Marlowe
Boots: Fly London
Jacket: thrifted
Bracelet: Betsey Johnson

8 comments:

Deja Pseu said...

Love that scarf!!

Fawn said...

I am crazy about that top. Such fun details!

Sheila said...

That's a lovely jacket - I would have grabbed that right out of your hands, haha!

Jane W. said...

Those pants make you look so leggy! Great cut on you.

tini said...

Hello, have you seen these? http://www.fluevog.com/code/?w[0]=gender:women&p=93&pp=4&view=detail&colourID=2361 they make me think on the ice skates boots you were talking about some time ago, they are gorgeous!!

tini (from Peru)

Kristen said...

I have a bright green scarf just like that which I have not been able to find the right outfit for. You've just given me some great ideas, thank you!

Sal said...

No kidding! The suede stuff I see at thrift stores is usually motheaten and dirty. To find a patchwork suede jacket - and a pale bone one at that - in such amazing condition is a major score!

Audi said...

tini: Oh yes, I know those Fluevogs well; they're gorgeous!