Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Matrix + G.I. Joe

The last time I wore these cropped pants with this top, fellow blogger Bekster stopped by with this suggestion:

"While I absolutely LOVE the tie and the jacket (they make the outfit), I'd be curious to see the rest of the outfit with some sort of military jacket (and maybe military/beret-like hat)... kind of Matrix meets G.I. Joe."

I decided to give it a try, so I pulled out the only military jacket I own, swapped the dressy black boots for these more rugged-looking dark brown ones, and added the beret. I have no idea if this outfit bears any resemblance to The Matrix, since I've never seen the movie (I know, I know, but that much Keanu Reeves is simply more than I can bear.). As for G.I. Joe, I seem to remember him wearing a lot more khaki. But hey, I did my best, and I liked the way the outfit turned out.

The button-down shirt is actually a size too small, so layering over it is a must. Since the sleeves are a little too short, I usually cuff them, and the jacket worked beautifully to keep the sleeves and cuffs in place. I like how the inside of the cuffs are a cute floral pattern, which is an unexpected detail on an otherwise basic striped shirt.

After test-wearing Mark's first prototypes of the Lucille underbust belt in both black and brown, I finally got one of my very own. I liked how the open jacket revealed just a little bit of the hardware-adorned sides of the belt when I walked or put my hand on my hip. The belt is made of soft, flexible leather and is remarkably comfortable to wear all day. It gave some contrast to the dark top half of the outfit and added a utilitarian look. I could almost imagine that it's a holster and that I had a tiny, pearl-handled pistol under there (I didn't, but wouldn't it have made a great accessory?).

Beret: ADS
Jacket: F21, modified by me
Button-down shirt: Old Navy
Top: Max Studio
Belt: Audra Jean
Cropped Pants: Noa Noa
Boots: Bata

17 comments:

Diana said...

I love it! The whole outfit is chic and tough at the same time. I love how the details of that belt peek out.

A-C said...

This belt is so cool. I kind of want one, BAD, but I don't think its law school or work appropriate. :/

And you're right, that floral detail on the inside of your blouse sleeves is just the bit of daintyness the outfit needed.

Sal said...

The belt is just amazing. I just imagine you making hats for Mark, him making you belts ... and think how the most I could ever make for Mike is a quesadilla.

Anonymous said...

I love everything about this outfit! I broke out my beret and wore it due to your inspiration. Now if only I could actually wear one of those belts....
~Madeline
belt challenged

angie said...

I really enjoy looking at your outfits, Audi. You’re what I’d call very “arty” with a unique look that’s all your own. I like your military and equestrian inspired outfits best – like this one. That’s a stunning belt and you have styled it beautifully.

Sheila said...

Great details in this outfit, from the cuffs to the bracelet to the belt.

I do the same thing with shirts that are too tight or missing buttons.

Ashe Mischief said...

I love this outfit so, so very much. Almost obsessed with it.

bekster said...

Yay, you tried it. :)

I love the buttons on the jacket, and the jacket works very well with the beret. It's not exactly the look I pictured, but it is still very cool. (It looks more M&C-ish, but I guess that's more your speed anyway.) :) Again, it is a predominantly black outfit that doesn't look like a cop out as many black outfits do.

Oh, and the belt is really awesome.

The Small Fabric Of My Life said...

Congratulations to the blogger - their suggestions made this a fantastic ensemble.

Oranges And Apples said...

This looks fantatsic! and you know i love the belts!

crispybenfranklin said...

The outfit is awesome, and I couldn't agree with you more regarding Keanu Reeves. :)

scicurious said...

I love the outfit, and I love your site! I read it every day, and definitely caught myself attempting to wrap a scarf in my office following your tutorial. But I was wondering, is there a way to improve the lighting at the bottom of the pictures? When you wear dark bottom combos with little contrast (like today and I LOVE that belt, btw), it's really hard to see the details of the pants and boots, I couldn't tell where the cropping was or anything. If you can't do it, that's ok, but I just figures I'd ask!

Una said...

Absolutely love it, and what a tribute to your readers to take their suggestions! I have the same jacket and have a question for you - mine looks great open, but kind of strange closed with the one hook. Do you ever wear your closed? F21 styles run so small!

La Historiadora de Moda said...

I love that jacket more and more every time you wear it!

Keanu was actually perfect for The Matrix because his character was confused the whole time. Definitely the height of his skill set.

Audi said...

scicurious: Thank you for reminding me that I need to fix this! I got some suggestions today that I'll try out!

Una: I pretty much always wear mine open; I find that the seam around the waist doesn't have enough stretch to it and is uncomfortable. I have thought, however, about putting a different closure on it that would give it a bit of slack and not look like it's hanging by a thread. You're right, F21 does run small, and this one fits me great everywhere except at the waist when I have it closed... so I leave it open.

Healthy and Homemade said...

love the post title =) you look fabulous, I'm always a big fan of brown & black together!

God's Favorite Shoes! said...

I love love love this outfit. That jacket and belt are phenomenal