Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Jumbled Together

For this outfit I chose a monochromatic color scheme and made it interesting by doing some crazy pattern-mixing; I've got stripes, floral, abstract, and argyle all jumbled together in varying intensities of navy blue. Basically I started with the dress and then just pulled out a bunch of other navy items and started putting them together. I like how the striped hoodie gives a casual flair to the outfit, while the abstract patterned skirt eases the transition between the stark white background of the dress and the dark argyle tights.

Because there was so much pattern going on, I kept the accessories to a minimum, choosing a simple silver and black necklace and a solid black belt. There's really no need to go overboard with jewelry in an outfit like this; in fact, I probably didn't even need the necklace, but it went so well with the other silver and black accents that it blended in.

Looking at these shoes makes me happy; I just love the funky lacing across the top. However, I still lament the fact that these shoes only come in two very safe, neutral colors, because a two-tone version would be so much fun. If I can ever pick up a pair of the brown ones for cheap, I'd be tempted to dye them or have it done professionally.

Hoodie: from a local import shop
Dress: Noa Noa
Belt: Red Dress Shoppe
Skirt: Ralph Lauren
Shoes: Tsubo

14 comments:

Rebecca said...

This is such a great look! How do you "see" the possibilities??? I'm in awe of your ability to pull so many items together for such a wonderful effect...

Jane W. said...

Love the pattern mixing and the blue palette. You look like a steampunk Olive Oyl, and I mean that as a compliment.

MJ said...

I discovered your blog last week & read it straight through over the weekend. It has been just the fashion shot in the arm I needed. My work outfits just these past 2 days have been awesome & even earned comments from several co-workers.
I'm hooked! I look forward to each day.

Sheila said...

This is such a great outfit! It reminds me of Delft China.

Those shoes are awesome. Wow!

Emily Kennedy said...

Those boots are seriously awesome!

Clare said...

Yup, I ADORE those Tsubos! Great outfit, too!!

L said...

You have the best outfits....ever!!! I love your style.

fröken lila said...

i understand what you say about the shoes - why don't you try fnking them up with bright coloured laces? that would make an interesting pattern on the shoe, and you can always mix and match the laces with whatever you are wearing!

Sal said...

fröken lila's got a good point ... would bright laces do the trick?

Also, you are my pattern-mixing hero.

Karen Beth said...

I am so seriously thinking about getting a pair of shoes like those. They are one of the few brands who carry my size (5) consistently. Are those comfortable? I've read great reviews of them.

msred5@yahoo.com

Rad_in_Broolyn said...

I need to get more patterns and mix them stat! Also, I second the opinion on the boots. They are amazing and add just the right amount of edge.

Diana said...

Audi, you are officially the master of pattern mixing. This outfit is amazing!

Audi said...

Rebecca: I usually just pull out an item and start putting it next to anything and everything until I see something with potential. I also set aside time to just play with my wardrobe and come up with new ideas.

Jane w: Steampunk Olive Oyl -- I love it!

MJ: Welcome! Glad to hear your efforts are earning you praise. :-)

fröken lila and Sal: Wow, I hadn't even considered that. Great idea; thanks! Even laces in another neutral such as beige or gray would make a huge difference.

Karen Beth: Yes, they are seriously comfy shoes, and great quality too; I'd highly recommend them.

Rebecca said...

Thanks for the tip, Audi!