Tuesday, February 9, 2010

High Maintenance

Boy, was I out of it the day I wore this outfit. Jess called me up at work, talking about taking BART into San Francisco and something about a rental car, and I asked, "Wait... tomorrow?" to which she replied, "No, TODAY." Oops. I had completely forgotten that she was coming into town that night, but thankfully by the time she arrived I had regained most of my wits. So yeah, Jess was in town recently, for work and for our friend Tom's gig with his 80's cover band, The Ducks. You'll hear more about the gig, and see our 80's outfits, on Thursday.

For this outfit I started with a black turtleneck and skirt, over which I layered the denim dress and belt. This kept me warm, while still having the cheeky element of the short skirt peeking out underneath. I'll be honest though, this outfit was high maintenance, because the cotton skirt kept sticking to both the tights and the denim dress and getting all bunched up. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't wear such a full skirt, and I'd make sure to wear pettipants under it.

Turtleneck: H&M
Belt: Urban Outfitters
Skirt: F21
Denim dress: thrifted
Boots: All Black

14 comments:

Sheila said...

Very funky outfit! I hate when my linings or skirts cling and bunch. Today's dress's lining rode up all day - I was ready to grab the scissors!

Ooh, can't wait to see your 80s outfits!

Clare said...

I just adore the denim dress in this outfit! Such a great layering look.

Anonymous said...

Why choose pettipants over a slip? Is there any difference? (I had no idea what they were, had to look them up! :)

Anonymous said...

I have to say that I think this is more of a miss than a hit. I mean it's 50x more stylish than my wardrobe, but I don't think it's up to your usual standard.

Audi said...

Anonymous: I prefer pettipants to slips because they prevent skirts from getting stuck to the insides of my thighs as I walk. Plus they tend not to ride around as much as slips.

Work With What You've Got said...

"while still having the cheeky element of the short skirt peeking out underneath"

ADORABLE. I love that!

Diana said...

I love how you layered the denim shirt dress! It sucks that it was so high maintenance, because it looks great.

Emily Kennedy said...

I thought you would never again have an awkward moment with a skirt once you found pettipants. At least that's what I keep telling myself should be the motivation for buying a slip. You've pulled back the curtain!

j.p. said...

So can you show the hoo-hoo region and/or the upper thigh of pettipants, or would you button the dress down a bit? I guess I mean are they considered underwear or what? I'm sure I've seen you in some before, but I can't recall how you had them displayed...

Chelsea said...

Oh, this denim number on top was such a fantastic idea! Love the textured tights peaking out and kinda pulling in the white detail on the skirt.

I need to invest on a slip or petti pants or something soon. The cling/bunch routine is super-annoying!

Rebecca said...

I have looked this outfit over several times and think I have figured out something I can do with items from my closet. Thank you! Thank you! I like it VERY much.

Em said...

I like this look.....I hope you don't mind that I steal it from you!

Healthy and Homemade said...

I really love this denim dress, and it's awesome how you layered this!

Ketura said...

You often see denim dresses like this and I always think "How soccer-mom" (which I am, actually) but I love love love what you did with it, and now I've resolved to try to keep my eyes peeled for one. You've really inspired me. In fact, the day after I stumbled upon your blog, I wore what was for me a really interesting combination of clothes. Maybe I'm getting out of my rut! Thanks!