Friday, February 19, 2010

For My Guy

I didn't wear this outfit to work. I put it on for no other reason than because I was going over to Mark's place and I wanted to look cute for my guy. Why should everyone at work get to see my fancy outfits every day, while Mark mostly sees me in my relax-at-home cozies? So after I got home from work (in the outfit I posted yesterday), I changed into this and headed over to Mark's. After a day of wearing an outfit that I wasn't really very happy with, it was extra nice to put this on.

This is the dress I bought in Mexico, and in these shots you can get a better idea of what it looks like. It has a halter strap with thin lengths of chain braided through it, which drape down on one side. Its skin-baring cut and loose layers make it a perfect summer dress, but the somber, mottled gray wash makes it adaptable for cold weather too. For this outfit I layered it over my All Saints argyle sweater for warmth. Are you tired of seeing my All Saints argyle yet? I hope not, because I'm sure not tired of wearing it.

This outfit was another good excuse to wear my new Jeffrey Campbell boots, which as I mentioned before are insanely comfortable. Last week I received the Clinic wedges that I ordered via Solestruck's automatic notification system; you'll be seeing those beauties very soon. Solestruck is slated to get more of the Clinics in stock next month; if you've been wanting a pair, you'll need to snap them up quick, because they're literally selling out within hours.

Hat: Audra Jean
Dress: Forla Paris
Argyle sweater: All Saints
Boots: Jeffrey Campbell

18 comments:

The Writing Instinct said...

Deep breath & sigh Audi! Your originality is refreshing, as always.
Merva

The Writing Instinct said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barry Wright, III said...

I'm impressed with your subtle mixture of brown into this mostly black outfit.

Many people I know are afraid to wear the two together (citing that they shouldn't combine neutral colors that way), but I find that it often brings out a vibrancy in the browns that you can't get otherwise.

The brown pops off your hat, which accents the brown tones in your hair, which makes you notice the color in the sweater. Even the hardwood floor is reflecting in your shoes a bit (just a little bonus)!

Healthy and Homemade said...

Killer shoes. I love the flow of the dress, I'm so excited to start wearing more sheer clothing once the weather warms up! ^_^

A-C said...

There is no reason you shouldn't be allowed to dress cute for your guy! (I love how you phrased it too. )

KP said...

i love the hat!

http://dressedtostudy.blogspot.com/

Emily Kennedy said...

It amazes me that those shoes are actually comfortable. How lovely indeed!

the cheap chick said...

First time commenting! Why? Because I have to give you kudos for dressing cute for your guy. I think that's awesome - if you love someone, why not show you care by looking cute? You'll feel good, they'll feel good, it's just one big win-win :)

Also, as I totally covet your Goth Argyle top, I'm not sick of it yet, either.

Diana said...

Those boots are insanely awesome!

Anonymous said...

Great outfit!
Victoria Beckham recently described her personal style as "nerd chic." Is she reading your blog?
(In today's New York Times Sunday Styles section - can't find a link online.)

Eyeliah said...

that is very nie of you, I think I need to do that for my man too! (said while wearing my battered old jeans)

Eyeliah said...

nice* lol darn that quick clicking

Kath Meusey said...

I am so in love with that tunic! I really enjoy your style and wish I were small enough to pull things like that off.

Sheila said...

Hear, hear, for dressing up for your man! One of the biggest things I got out of my first big (failed) relationship was that I needed to look good for the person I loved. Why should we only look good for strangers and coworkers? Shouldn't we look even better for the one we love?

Rad_in_Broolyn said...

This dress (especially with the argyle) is amazing! And I seriously dig your boots.
I want to second all the commenters who like your policy of dressing up for your fella. I actually asked my live-in partner a couple days ago why he doesn't wear some slouchy comfy clothes around the house, and he said (rightfully), "Then I'd see me in icky clothes, and you'd see me in icky clothes, and we'd all be unhappy." I went and put on a dress.

WendyB said...

LOL -- love the comment above me. But not enough to dress up when I'm sitting around the house.

Work With What You've Got said...

LOVE this.

jennine said...

wow! i really love the layering and texture!