Monday, January 4, 2010

What I Learned on My Christmas Vacation


Hello again, and happy 2010! I'm back from Mexico, where I spent 10 glorious days on the beaches of Tulum with Mark, Jess, and our friend Tom. We rented a rustic casita right on the beach (that's it above -- Casita Tortuguita), and enjoyed warm, sunny weather every day we were there. Here are some interesting things I learned while vacationing:

1. Atlantic Ghost crabs love to eat Pringles, particularly the pizza flavor. After dragging one down its burrow, a crab will seal up the entrance from within, presumably so it can spend several days undisturbed on the couch, watching TV.

2. Achieving beachy, windswept hair is a lot easier when you're actually on a windswept beach. It also helps if you truly don't give a crap what your hair looks like.

3. A 'Mayan Sacrifice' is far more pleasant (and delicious) than it sounds.

4. Going grocery shopping is a lot more fun when:

  • There are two different songs playing from either end of the store, creating a random mash-up that you can groove down the aisles to.
  • Your cart is filled with bottles of margarita mix, limes, and tequila.
  • You have 3 of your favorite people to shop with.
  • You've had 2 or more cocktails.

5. The Tulum ruins would be more accurately named "Iguana Viewing Platforms."

6. Napping in a hammock is a fine way to spend a morning... and an afternoon.







Our impressive stats:

  • Man-hours spent in a hammock: ~216
  • Books finished: 12
  • Tequila consumed: ~4580 mL
  • Songs composed about Mexican speed bumps (aka topes): 2
  • Hours spent staring at crab burrows: ~27
  • Celebrities spotted: 1
  • New friends made: 2
  • Hours spent stuck in traffic, stressing out, or rushing to get somewhere: 0

Below are a few more photos from our wonderful trip. Tomorrow I'll be back with my regular outfit posts; I still have several days' worth of photos from before we left, so I have a bit of catching up to do.


The view from our shady, hammock-strung oasis




Mark and Tom enjoying a breakfast beer on the patio



The Tulum ruins, er, Iguana Viewing Platforms



Mark and I



Gratuitous iguana shot



Sunset on our little slice of beach

21 comments:

Alison said...

So nice to see those gorgeous summery looking pictures. We've been looking at snow and having -28f mornings here in Central MN. Thank you for sharing!

La Historiadora de Moda said...

It sounds like you have had a wonderful vacay, lady! I am experiencing Mexican vacation envy. I love that shot of the iguana. I had one as a pet when I was a kid.

Lemondrop Marie said...

Gorgeous, I am green with envy! Love the iguana pics and lovely scenic view!
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

Kiki said...

What an incredible place and a fantastically relaxing vacation! So beautiful...I can't wait to visit someday.

Sheila said...

Ha! That sounds like so much fun! Glad you were able to get away and relax.

WendyB said...

Making a note to myself about the crab-Pringle connection.

Sal said...

Ach, it looks positively perfect. And I love the gratuitous iguana shot. ;)

Zoma said...

Love the post. Thanks for sharing your vacation with us. We visited the iguana's at Tulum a couple of years ago. Very appropriate name for the place. :)

i_b_erin said...

Love the iguanas and commentary on the pringles chips.

Sounds like another wonderful holiday for you and Mark...Awesome!

Diana said...

Audi, these photos are absolutely gorgeous! It looks like you had an amazing time in Mexico. I love the "gratuitous iguana shot"!

Emily Kennedy said...

OH. MY. GOD. You lucky woman. Particularly about this part:

"Hours spent stuck in traffic, stressing out, or rushing to get somewhere: 0"

And all the beautiful experiences you had instead! SUPERGORGEOUS!

A-C said...

You know all you're doing is making me want to visit my parents in Puerto Rico, right? RIGHT!?!?! hehe

Your stats are pretty dead on, glad you had fun!

kellyroy68@yahoo.gr said...

hi audi,
It's nice to have you back!!!.I've been reading your blog for a month now and I like it.I like the fact that you pursue a ""serious"" career but still have a blog about fashion.I've had this dilema for so long...never mind.
I love the holiday feeling on a beach so much that I managed to spend months in a raw living on one a few years back (even my hair had become dreadlocks).
Talk again soon

Eyeliah said...

I completely agree you with you on grocery shopping in mexico, such a blast!! Iam glad you spent 0 hours strssing and had sucha great time. Who was the celeb? ;-)

notSupermum said...

It looks and sounds perfect for a holiday. We are currently snowed in here in North-west England, so I'm feeling very envious of your sunshine holiday!

Audi said...

Eyeliah: The celeb was Neil Patrick Harris; totally adorable in person.

angie.a said...

Ah, I love Mexico! I haven't been in 5 or 6 years, but that looks delicious!

ambika said...

Looks relaxing and too beautiful.

elmendez said...

Ahhh, so nice. You must tell me about the tope songs.

Joe said...

Love your pictures and stories from Tulum. We also stayed at Casita Tortuguita and loved it! Rustic and just what we needed!

enterrement vie de célibataire said...

Ces photos sont très belles, jolie jeu de lumière.
Lilou