Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Paddington Bear

Well, I'm back to the daily grind, and back to my regular office outfit posts. This one was inspired by a rainy day, as you can probably tell from the rain boots. Since the shiny boots have sort of a mod look to me, I chose this vintage 60's suit to wear with them, and added the hat so that I didn't have to worry about my hair going flat from the soggy weather.

As much as I love this multi-colored turtleneck sweater, I have concluded that no matter what I do, I will never be able to get that funky thrift store smell out of it. I've had it cleaned several times and have doused it with a vodka solution (which has worked for other items), but to no avail. I thought I had it licked the last time, but partway through the day I started to smell it again, and as soon as I got home the sweater went into the donation pile. So sad.

My featured outerwear is of course my red Tulle coat, which goes perfectly with the rain boots. For some reason I felt a little like Paddington Bear in this outfit, although I'm pretty sure his coat was blue and not red.




Suit: vintage
Sweater: thrifted
Belt: Red Dress Shoppe
Coat: Tulle
Boots: Aquatalia

19 comments:

A-C said...

Those boots are fabulous! And you're right, Paddington Bear had a blue coat with a yellow rain hat. But you, my dear, look great!

kateohkatie said...

Before you toss that sweater - have you tried sealing it in a plastic tub with charcoal for a couple weeks, then airing it in the sun all day? I bet that'd do the trick...

Lemondrop Marie said...

Vodka solution... hmm I usually just drink the stuff.
Shame, the sweater is lovely, I love the colors in the outfit.
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

Roberta said...

I totally lust after Aquatalia boots. Tomorrow I'll wear brown and topaz with red boots.

The constant flow of ideas coming from your blog reminds me of the boss who once told me (kidding?), "Here, read this article so I don't have to." Seriously, you are such an inspiration. I don't spend nearly much time stressing about my wardrobe as I used too. You've done the hard work for me.

Whoa, I hope that reads like a compliment - it is sincerely meant!

Lindsey Cochran said...

Maybe this is apples and oranges, but have you tried soaking the sweater in a solution of baking soda and water? It worked wonders on that strange spoiled milk smell that emanated from my Matrix's carpeting after the snow from my boots melted into it in December. On the other hand, I've had new items in my wardrobe that even after washing had a chemical aroma that I found disconcerting. May it be a glorious find for someone blessed with Ed Norton's sense of smell.

Dizzy Miss Lissy said...

This is a great outfit, I especially like it with the red jacket on—it looks very put together. I also like that it looks warm. Is it warm? I have a hard time figuring out what to wear that will keep me nice and bundled up but still be CUTE.

Thanks for sharing!

WendyB said...

Those boots are fantastic!

Luinae said...

I love both the coat and the boots- hmmm, maybe I just love red!

Oranges And Apples said...

I adore the boots! and the armless suit - you make it work perfectly!

Melanie said...

I have a friend who swears by this stuff deer hunters use to get smells off of them... She says it works for every kind of stink she's ever used it on.

Diana said...

I love those rain boots! I love the fact that they're actually zippered and form-fitting - so many rain boots and so slouchy and shapeless.

Sal said...

Red and brown is such a warm, welcoming combination.

Audi said...

Ooh, thatnks for all the tips on eliminating the thrift store funk -- I'll definitely give them a try before I get rid of the sweater.

Dizzy Miss Lizzy: Yes, I'd say the coat is warm, but then again I live in a very mild climate, so I'm not sure how it would do somewhere that gets below freezing.

Tina said...

I have a short red coat that I call my Paddington Bear coat too. So weird.

Kasmira said...

I hope you used cheap vodka!

So sad to think of good vodka going to waste....

Although, I just used some expensive vodka to brew up cat repellent. Thankfully, it was only 1 oz.

Lorena said...

Great boots....

Love the Paddington look !

lsaspacey said...

Vinegar is also great for getting out smells.

bekster said...

Gah! I LOVE this. It makes me gleeful to see how "matchy" this is (in the very best way possible... which is always good in my opinion, despite what society may think now).

Also, the RED! *Faint*

Anonymous said...

Yep, lsaspacey, I do a vinegar and baking soda soak on stuff like that.
However, I have bought a few cheap items (new, but from cheap stores) that have a petroleum smell. That won't come out. Ugh.