Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Truly Toasty



For the next several days I'll be featuring the outerwear that I've been pairing with my outfits, since the weather has gotten really chilly here and coats and jackets have been much more of a necessity than normal. Today it's this beautiful vintage coat, which I've actually shown before. It was really cold that day, so I wrapped myself in layers of cashmere, tulle, wool, and fur for a truly toasty ensemble.

This outfit was something I had been wanting to try: a winter white look. Now, I don't have the sort of complexion that looks good surrounded by lots of washed out colors; I have olive undertones in my skin and pale colors tend to make me look, well, dead. So I modified the look somewhat and added this light brown scarf around my neck; the color is soft enough that it doesn't ruin the harmony of the rest of the outfit, but at the same time it frames my face with a warmer color that gives it a little life.

The beautiful leather half vest was custom made for me by one of my favorite designers, Tiina from Attila Design. I knew it would make a great starting point for my winter white look , especially since the contrast topstitching was a perfect way to tie in the richer brown color that I knew I'd need. The vest also helps bring shape to this bulky cashmere sweater, which otherwise tends to hide my waist. In the end, none of the colors was really white at all, and no two colors matched; I thought this was a more interesting way to approach the washed out winter look.

Dress: Lady Language
Sweater: Anne Taylor
Vest: Attila Design
Tulle skirt: Noa Noa
Shoes: Tsubo; a gift from Sal
Coat: vintage (via eBay)

22 comments:

Kacie said...

That coat is GORGEOUS! I'm sad that you're dealing with frigid weather, but at least you have that phenomenal coat to stay warm in.

mely said...

Wow, what an amazing outfit! You look like a snow queen. :)

Ecc3ntricCynic said...

I think it's incredibly successful. I love how even though none of the pieces are really white but all come together to create a snowy wintery outfit. That coat is to die for XDD

Penny said...

I am seriously coveting that tulle skirt! Where do you find such beautiful clothes?

Jo said...

You have got the most amazing clothes I have ever seen and a fantastic talent to put together some awesome outfits!

Aradia said...

Love love love the look! Looks great on you!
That half vest looks amazing, and I adore that coat.

Autumn Rose said...

What a gorgeous coat! You look so chic dressed in winter white.

Sal said...

Faaaaantastic. And a great reminder to haul out my Lily vest from Tiina ...

Adding the brown scarf was brill. A great trick for making unflattering colors wearable.

Amy said...

Half vest? wow!I heard it here first.

Wearing all black drains me of color. Maybe I'll try wearing a green scarf next time.

I have a simular coat in the closet. Maybe I'll try a copycat look.

La Historiadora de Moda said...

That coat is seriously beautiful! Great, great tip about adding the brown to prevent washing out!

fashionableacademics.blogspot.com

Diana said...

I adore that coat! It looks super cozy, and the collar is a nice touch.

Emily Kennedy said...

I too have olive in my skin, and whereas white makes me look dead, some ivories/oysters/creams can look pretty decent. Add a pop of color and I'm good to go. I think these creams are really looking excellent on you. Especially the coat!

Audi said...

Penny: Most of my tulle skirts came from Noa Noa stores; they have several locations in Europe but alas, none over here. However, you might want to have a look at the Narcisse website (the shop is in Portland, OR); they carry some Noa Noa clothes and also ship within the US. http://shopnarcisse.typepad.com/

Emily Kennedy: You're right, the creamy shades do look good; the pale mint green sweater is dreadful on me though, without some mitigating darker shade.

Chelsea said...

I love this white-washed look, and what a unique vest! gorgeous coat too. you've put together a lovely outfit here, and the scarf is really the perfect addition ;)

Eyeliah said...

I remeber that coat, so so pretty. I have been wearing my same faux fur pretty much everday, its not too cold but it's as cold as it tends to get here. Looking forward to seeing more outerwear from you this week.

Sheila said...

This is so pretty on you - very elegant. I love that coat!

Christine said...

Oh wow on that coat, just simply beautiful. Now I'll have to stalk eBay for one of my own.

I have to say, I come here and am always jealous at the clothes you're able to wear to work. As an attorney, anything beyond the norm is not generally acceptable. I do try to push it a little with some funkier tights/boots/shoes...but tone it down with your standard neutral dresses and skirts. *sigh* At least I can get my kicks here!

kristophine said...

I love that coat! Especially with that beautiful skirt. I love winter white, but I'm afraid to try it because I live in the Mud Capital of the World. We're practically Elbonia.

skapamusik said...

Adore the coat! I find it pretty hard to find that perfect shade of white that always look good near my face. A lot of whites wash me out even though I'm very pale. But I love white in the winter, looks so chic!

As always, you're an inspiration!

notSupermum said...

You look lovely in both photos, the coat looks very Christmassy.

Healthy and Homemade said...

Ooooo this is so winter wonderland, love it! =)

Karin said...

What a gorgeous, gorgeous coat. It looks beautiful on you!