Thursday, December 3, 2009

Traumatized

I don't wear these cords very often, I think because I'm still somewhat traumatized by an experience I had a few years ago. I had a beautiful pair of plush Elie Tahari pants, not so much a true corduroy as a micro-cord fabric, where there were no raised ridges and only an even, dense nap. The fabric was an indigo blue underneath, but the nap was a rich brown, giving the pants a really interesting depth. I adored them, and wore them at every opportunity. Then one day I took a good look at them as I was pulling them out of the closet, and realized that most of the nap had worn off of the ass. I had been walking around with a blue butt for months! Ever since then I've been very cautious with corduroy fabrics, saving my wears for days when I'll be doing more standing than sitting. And yes, I always check the seat of the pants before I put them on.

These cords pair really well with black, so I decided to do a rework of the outfit on the right, from way back in May of 2008. In order to update the look I added my military jacket, and built upon the naval theme by adding the striped shirt. I like how my pose is almost the same in both photos. I didn't plan it that way, either; I probably just need to get some new poses.

Jacket: F21
Shirt: H&M
Pants: Marlowe
Boots: Modern Vintage

16 comments:

Jenniferocious said...

I love it! I like both looks, but I think I like the updated one even better. :) I like mixing brown & black when possible, its a nice unexpected look, but a subtle kind of unexpectedness.

LPC said...

I think you have improved upon the first look:). This is fantastic.

Ecc3ntricCynic said...

I definitely think you have a knack for pairing things up that really work together. Super cute

Alex said...

Ha! I had a traumatizing corduroy pant experience as well. One time I wore my beloved, soft and stretchy cords to the movies. In the middle of the movie I went to the bathroom and discovered that the seat of the pants was basically in tatters, somehow having been worn completely through! I was almost positive they hadn't been that way when I put them on (I would have noticed, right??) but I kept second-guessing myself. Luckily I had a jacket I could tie around my waist. But I've never worn cords since then!

Clare said...

I absolutely adore the naval theme here. And your last post about layering skirts was just fantastic. It's a favorite practice of mine, and you did a lovely job of hashing it out. :)

bekster said...

This one is especially figure-flattering.

Sheila said...

Okay, I laughed at your blue butt, I admit it!

I love cords, but they don't love me - they wear off between my thighs. *sigh*

Great look - I adore that jacket.

WendyB said...

I had bad corduroy experiences as a child and have avoided it ever since!

The Small Fabric Of My Life said...

I love the stripes. I am gla dyou have recovered form the trauma.

MindLess said...

I had to inform my boyfriend some weeks ago that his favourite corduroy pants are see through at the butt. Unfortunately I only realised this when I met him AFTER school...

Well he'll get over it. And buy new pants from the same brand and do the butt check like you do it everytime he puts them on!

Striped shirts said...

Striped shirts are so in fashion right now. I love the look they give and the piece is no different. You wear it so well.

Sal said...

Oh dear! And worn-off nap isn't something a tailor can fix for ya!

ms. Givens said...

I love cords as I am cold natured.
I think you are adorable. Very cute blog!

Kate said...

wow, I adore this look. sort of pirate queen without looking fancy dress.

all my pairs of corduroy pants have ended up just the same way. even many of my jeans! I know the feeling.

Emily Kennedy said...

Tres chic! The sailor stripes go particularly well with the gamine haircut.

Alli said...

Great naval theme! That military jacket really has proven to be quite versatile.