Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Math is Fun

When this beautiful Attila Design skirt first arrived, I told myself that even though it's ridiculously dressy for my workplace, I would wear it anyway because it's just too pretty to collect dust in my closet while I wait for a 'special' occasion. I promptly put it together into an outfit that I fully intended to wear immediately, but a sudden warm spell made said outfit unwearable, and the skirt just hung there grouped with a bunch of wintry items until I finally disassembled the outfit and created this one. So here the skirt is at last, making its debut appearance on the blog.

I tried a lot of different variations on this outfit, many of which involved pairing the skirt with really casual items in order to tone down the dressiness. But in the end I didn't want to downplay the luxe fabrics and beautiful detailing too much, so I dressed it down a little with the t-shirt and flat boots, while simultaneously using the velvet vest to make the top half of the outfit able to stand up to the bottom. The detail shots make the skirt look a lot more green than it is -- the full length shots have much truer color.

Finally, I thought this story might amuse you, since it illustrates just how nerdy many of my coworkers actually are. The other day I was sitting in a meeting next to a woman from our statistics department. We were watching a presentation, and as we sat there she was busily scribbling away in her notebook. Since the presentation was really just informational and not something we needed to be taking notes on, I just assumed she was doodling. Then out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of the page -- her 'doodles' were actually mathematical equations and graphs. She was doing integral calculus to kill time! Suddenly it became very clear why I rarely get comments on even my most outlandish outfits; I should really thank her, because she's inspired me to push the boundaries even more now that I know for sure that no one's paying much attention. And now I'm doubly glad I wore this amazing skirt on a regular work day.

Vest: an oldie from the 90's
Shirt: H&M
Skirt: Attila Design
Boots: Bata

18 comments:

Raia said...

love ur outfit :)

Michelle said...

That story about your coworker is HILARIOUS. I love nerds.

Your outfit looks great too, of course. :)

spottedroo said...

hahahahaha

the best thing about science is no one cares how you dress

the worst thing about science...um, yeah.

cool skirt

Astroluc said...

crazy... I love your style! I found your blog via let's go ride a bike
.

Stunning... don't be surprised if you see some of your style show up in my work!

Sheila said...

I love that skirt! Does the hem let down? It looks like it does. I really like how you've put it together with that vest - so elegant and slightly Ren Faire (and really, who can resist that look?).

I'm by far the most outrageous dresser of anyone in my building. I always get comments on my more zany things (my legs today, meaning my short skirt).

Great work story! Ha!

phantasnight said...

I so perfectly understand the fashion-un-oriented "nerdy" environment...I work in IT , being one of 4 women in the company (and the only one who doesn't constantly wear jeans and tees). the rest are guys...but surprisingly , since I created my blog ,part of the guys started following it , and sometimes scold me when I come to work "too" casually dressed :))).

Melissa said...

Where in the heck dose you get your shoes from? I'm always drooling over them, even if I think some of the is weird, I still absolutely love them.

Della said...

That's amazing! I wish I could kill time and do calculus...that would make my college profs. so happy. :)

That skirt is beautiful...I want to see the previous outfit it belonged in. Please?

Sal said...

I need to hang out in your office - maybe some of those math/science smarts would rub off on me!

That skirt is a stunner, and you're quite right to make sure it gets plenty of wear.

bekster said...

Ha! I can relate to your co-worker. When I was in school and taking mostly art classes, it was such a breath of fresh air to get some math (hexadecimal numbers I think) in my computer class... one of those left brain/right brain things...

I can honestly say I have NEVER seen a skirt like that before. Wow.

Brina said...

I feel like I wish I had the guts to wear what you do. Everything always looks so fun!

Jamie Michelle said...

I had that skirt on my Etsy favorites list! Great buy! My husband is a scientist, and during this time of year I feel like an exotic butterfly when I attend his work-related holiday parties. Your days must all be like that!!! :)

Chelsea said...

ohhhhhh! that skirt is just absolutely amazing! you styled it perfectly with that gorgeous vest :) you look splendid.

Emily Kennedy said...

Whoa! That skirt is amazing! Also, I'm getting a graduate degree in sociology, which includes a fair amount of statistics courses, and there's no way you'll find me doodling calculus equations. What a brain on that woman!

notSupermum said...

That's some skirt Audi. Great story about your nerdy colleague. Now I understand.

La Historiadora de Moda said...

Once a friend and I worked an integral just to see if we still could. That was a few years ago, and I'm guessing I can't anymore. Love the skirt!!

Eyeliah said...

I think you could go to work head to toe avant garde and they wouldn't bat an eye - you can pull anything off for the office.

Audi said...

Melissa: Many of my shoes come from Endless.com or Amazon; I also tend to bring home shoes from the places I travel to.

Della: Actually it has gotten so cold in the last few days that I wore the other half of the intended outfit, so you'll see it soon!

La Historiadora de Moda: I couldn't do an integration now if my life depended on it. Kudos to you for at least giving it a shot!