Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Highly Functional



Today's featured outerwear is a coat you haven't seen before. It was custom made for me by designer Shawna Hoffman, who also made my fabulous convertible flight suit. This jacket also features Shawna's imaginative and highly functional approach to clothing design: the sleeves come off, and the two bottom tiers of the jacket can be removed for many different lengths and configurations. I originally saw this jacket at Ceiba Records on Haight Street, but it was in a size way too small for me. Assuming that several had been made, I asked about it over at Five and Diamond, but they told me that the one I saw was just a sample and the only one in existence, but that I could have one made to order. Months later, it was finally mine, and the fit is just perfect. There's also a leather version of this coat, but somehow I thought the dark denim was more unique. The back of the coat has corset-style laces, allowing the fit to be adjusted all over.

With this outfit I tried the long-socks-over-jeans-tucked-into-short-boots look again, this time blending the jeans, socks, and boots in a long unbroken line of indigo blue. On the top I layered a sheer floral over my All Saints mottled argyle tunic, and glammed up the whole thing with a sequined scarf. Overall the colors were dark, but the blend of patterns and texture kept the outfit rich and interesting.

Tunic: All Saints
Sheer top: Noa Noa
Belt, scarf: Urban Outfitters
Jeans: Joe's
Socks: Sock Dreams
Boots: Frye
Coat: Shawna Hoffman

19 comments:

Deja Pseu said...

That coat is fantastic!!! The workmanship looks as amazing as the design.

Alison said...

Beautiful Jacket! I love how they make their stuff so versatile. And that it is adjustable via the corset lacing in the back. So very cool. I like your boots with the taller socks, it's a fun look.

bekster said...

Another awesome piece. This one also looks kind of Master & Commander-ish to me with all of the buttons.

I like how in this outfit and the last, you kept to a very narrow color range each time. It made them look more "polished," I think.

Ecc3ntricCynic said...

Amazing piece. It is absolutely beautiful. Denim seems like it'd be easier to wear day to day than a statement piece in leather.

WendyB said...

INCREDIBLE coat!

Virago said...

Delurking to say how much I love your style in general and this long and fitted jacket in particular! There's something European about it ... I can't say what, exactly. Plus it's totally charming that a company would be willing to make a piece of clothing to order for you, based on a one-off sample. You'll wear it for years ...

I'm always looking for the long/fitted combo. It a) makes my short waist look longer and b) (subtly) points out that I do have a shape. Jackets w/no nipped-in waist hang straight down from the widest part of my body (the bosomal area) and make me look like a pillow.

Anonymous said...

You have the coolest pieces ever- I want your wardrobe! That jacket is sweet!

A-C said...

So I'm awake at 5:30 am today and saw this infomercial on tv and thought of you immediately. :) tasselme.com

Emily Kennedy said...

Oooh! That coat is amazing!!! Superwow! I would get SO much use out of something like that.

La Historiadora de Moda said...

That coat is fantastic! I'm so envious!

fashionableacademics.blogspot.com

Anna said...

Wow, I didn't even notice the socks-boots combo until you pointed it out. It's fun and unexpected!

Sal said...

What an AMAZING piece, Audi!

Linda said...

WOW WOW WOW. That jacket has rendered me incoherent.

jennine said...

this jacket is absolutely amazing!!!
i love it!

Diana said...

That coat is absolutely stunning!

Barry Wright, III said...

An incredible piece of workmanship; the versatility makes it worth the price of several jackets; glad to see this type of design flourish and be appreciated!

Imogen Lamport, AICI CIP said...

Wow what a gorgeous jacket!

Sheila said...

Your wardrobe must be worth a fortune! All these custom pieces?? This is just gorgeous, Audi!

Dizzy Miss Lissy said...

Oh, I love the way you combined your blouse with the scarf and belt! It all looks so put together! Great inspiration.